[Diabetes-talk] I'm a silent Diabetic

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Nov 4 04:01:02 UTC 2008

Kijuana:

I returned your call this afternoon and will call again tomorrow
morning. We'll need to know more about your diagnosis -- who diagnosed
you, what your blood glucose levels were/are, what kind of
recommendations, if any, you were given, whether you have been signed up
for a diabetes class run by a Certified Diabetes Educator, whether
you'll be treated by a primary care physician only or whether you have
been referred to an endocrinologist, among other things.

All that being said, every last one of us can empathise with you --
we've all been there. Especially at first, you get tons and tons and
tons of information all coming at you at once and it's natural to be
overwhelmed.

As I say, I can talk to you a lot more tomorrow but suffice it to say
here that there's all sorts of stuff you can look up on the Voice of the
Diabetic web site, http://www.VoiceOfTheDiabetic.org. WE have articles
on finger-sticking techniques, how to handle low blood glucose if that
befalls you, a plethora of material on diabetic complications which you
apparently don't have yet (thank goodness) and much, much more.

Suffice it to say that learning to use a blood glucose meter may seem
terribly frustrating at first. But it's quite doable and just takes
practice, practice, practice. The Prodigy Voice talking blood glucose
meter is cheap, works reasonably well and is fully useable by the blind.
the NFB Independence Market, Independent Living Aids and several vendors
of diabetes equipment (some of whom are on this list) sell it.

If you haven't talked to a dietitian, it ought to be a criminal offense.
You should see a certified diabetes educator and a good dietitian to
help you work out a diet that takes into account your food preferences,
the medications you're on (if any), how much physical activity you are
used to and how to integrate all this into a healthy diet and lifestyle.
If you're not seeing these folks, we can help you; the information is
all there. But it's a lot easier if you see a real certified diabetes
educator and dietitian who specializes in dealing with diabetics and can
take some classes.

If you can't find these resources (or even if you can), you might want
to check out the NLS book: "The First Year; Type 2 Diabetes -- an
Essential Guide for the Newly-Diagnosed" by Gretchen Becker; it's
available on cassette and as a digital talking book download. It's
superb and should get you through the initial period of fear and
uncertainty and if you read it all the way through, you'll know much
more than many experienced diabetics.

There are many other books I'd be glad to tell you about but that one is
one of the best.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Mike Freeman, President
Diabetes Action Network