[Diabetes-talk] Legislation

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Apr 2 02:56:08 UTC 2010

Jordan:

WE must be *very* careful here. In part the insurance mess is due to the
ignorance of insurance companies (and most sighted people) as to what
constitutes a truly accessible meter, combined with the fact that many
insurance carriers have "sweet-heart" deals with certain meter
manufacturers.

It seems to me that in the long run, the most complete solution to the
problem would be legislation -- state by state -- that would allow diabetes
patients to choose whatever meter thay wanted and insurance carriers would
have to pay for them.

I'd say it oughttta be an amendment to the recently-passed health care bill
except that I suspect that Congress (other than Republicans) wil be
double-plus reluctant to open it up again -- at least immediately.

You should also write to Jesse Hartle JHartle at nfb.org who is one of our
Government Affairs guys to at least let him know of your meeting.

Mike