[Diabetes-talk] Guidance on talking glucose monitor

eileen scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Sat Apr 3 14:11:49 UTC 2010

Hi Tamera & All:

Yes, I totally agree.

Kelly has been very good about getting meters replaced, but there is still
room for improvement on the Prodigy Voice.  I too used the Accu Check for a
very long time -- while it did have its problems, it was in my experience a
work-horse and my A1C's never came back with shocking results.  With the
Accu Check my A1C's were always in line with what I was expecting.
Unfortunately, near the end of the Accu Check's life it became erratic and
no matter how many times the company sent me replacements it always broke
down quickly.  Both my husband & I are totally blind, so I too have no
sighted assistance and must be sure about the results my meter is giving.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have the PV, but again, it is the only
show in town and is better than having NO meter at all.  Any diabetic who is
totally blind has "NO" choice in the matter.  DDI should be given credit for
making the effort of producing an accessible glucose meter, but to say that
the PV is "top rated" by blind diabetics, in my opinion, just doesn't have
much meaning because again its the only meter that we have any access to.
If there were more accessible meters to compare against each other, than to
say it's top-rated would have some meaning.  .  I don't want to see the
Prodigy just disappear; I want to see improvements/upgrades made to it.  It
is imperative that we have multiple choices for talking meters.  For those
who want meter development & design to first be presented to the DAN board,
I find this just a tad bit too controlling.  Are we going to reject any/all
new accessible meters that hit the market because companies did not first
run the development of a meter by the NFB's DAN?  So long as any company
developing accessible glucose meters is getting input from the consumer base
that's what's important.

Through Cheryl, I got in touch with Tina Rockwell of ADS and am waiting for
the Solo meter.  Once I get comfortable with the new Solo meter, I'll write
back with my experiences.  Tina from ADS was very open to hearing feed-back
on how I like the Solo and I'll talk with her in another week or two.
Currently the manual is not on CD, but can be downloaded from there web
site.  If I understood correctly, they are working on getting the manual on
a CD as well.

When writing, it is often difficult for us all to express our exact meanings
and sometimes comments might come off as personal attacks.  This is usually,
not my way of dealing with people.  I will stand up for myself when/where I
feel the need.  Often on this list, I have felt that I've been accused of
doing some kind of covert espionage for the ACB because once upon a time I
had subscribed to their diabetics email list and had the nerve to pose the
question of why we can't all try to work together on certain issues.  I
suspect that this has never been forgotten and will not be let go easily --
Hmm.  Not sure what to think here.

Good day to all and hope to talk to you later.

Eileen