[Diabetes-talk] talking insulin pump remote: Pump Mate

eileen scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Sat Apr 10 14:50:35 UTC 2010

Hi Chanelle:

Thanks for sharing this.  Always good to hear about new developments that
can help us as blind diabetics.  My only concern with this type of device is
that it's not being made by the pump manufacturers.  I'm wondering if down
the road changes get made to a pump of any brand will a device like the
Pumpmate continue to work correctly with updated/altered pumps.  A few years
ago, we had one of those talking remotes to help operate the VCR more
easily, once we upgraded to a VCR/DVD player the accessible remote no longer
continued to work.  So, I'm thinking its the same type of set up ... there
could be negative results down the road if this is the only accessibility
option for us.  .  I'm not a pump user but do have interest in them.  It has
been the lack of accessibility that has prevented me into investigating
further into them.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing, one of those better than nothing
being done things, so in that respect I'm happy to hear about it.  On the
other hand it would be so much better if pump manufacturers would get on the
ball with this stuff.

Thanks again for the information.  Please keep us posted if you get any
other pieces of good information like this one.

Eileen