[Diabetes-talk] another possibly stupid question!!!

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Dec 2 05:00:44 UTC 2010

Paul:

According to http://www.carbs-information.com, 4 saltine crackers have 8.6
grams of carbohydrate of which 0.3 grams are fiber.  You'd probably do
better with rye crackers or whole wheat crackers.  On the other hand, if you
don't scarf down on them and didn't eat many more than four last evening, I
doubt that would have been responsible for raising your blood glucose.  In
fact, if you were at 171 2 hours after a meal, that's not really so far out
of line unless you are trying to achieve fairly strict control.  Not long
ago, the American Diabetes ASsociation said one could be up to 180 mg/dl 2
hours after a meal; the American ASssociation of Clinical Endocrinologists
wants the bg level to be no more than 140 mg/dl 2 hours after a meal.  Real
fanatics want it no more than 120 2 hours after a meal but I consider that a
bit overboard although it will certainly cut down on your risk of diabetic
complications.

Mike Freeman