[Diabetes-talk] question

Vincent Chaney vgc732 at optonline.net
Wed Mar 31 19:58:33 UTC 2010

Debbie,

We of course should always say confide in any ideas with your doctor first.
You need your diabetes team to truly determine what is happening.
The reason for high blood sugars in the morning when you wake can be many
reasons. As I am an insulin pumper now for almost 11 years, I have had to
think levels around the 24 hours of the clock. I have been a diabetic for
almost 48 years now.
Have you tested yourself when you were waking during the night to determine
what your level was at that time? If not that would be necessary
information. Say your sugar is high as one possible point, you may be eating
a snack before bed with too many carbs, protein and/or calories. Believe it
or not, if you have a high protein or fat level at dinner, as you digest
these slower than carbs, they may be elevating your sugar throughout the
evening.
Would you let us know what time you go to sleep and get up? Why I ask is, if
you go to sleep around 9 PM for example and your insulin and diet are off,
you could also be dropping low during your early sleep time. What the body
would do then is to release hormones to elevate the blood sugar which does
not stop until you are out of the low level, but generally then for our
blood glucose level too high. Your sugar would be climbing at your 2:30 to 3
AM if you tested normal at that time. If you did not make the correction
adjustment your sugar would be higher in the AM.
One other thing that I've learned as an insulin pumper may also be involved.
If you are a late riser, there is a phase during sleep known as "The Dawn
Phenomena". this is when the body naturally releases a hormone which works
on us as a steroid. This is to lubricate our joints but like a hormone, will
elevate our sugars. So if you arise in the morning late, you may not be
administering insulin early enough to catch this "Dawn Phenomena" affect.
As you can see, there could be many possible reasons so working with your
diabetes team is critically important.

Vinny
Vincent Chaney Jr
NFB Diabetes Action Network (DAN) Board
NFBNJ Diabetes Division President
NJAGDU Division President
NFBNJ Technology Division Vice President
NFBNJ.ORG Webmaster