[Diabetes-talk] Question about accessible materials either in Braille or other media

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Jan 18 03:16:30 UTC 2011

Julie:

I've never heard of the "Eat This Not That" book so can't give you a
recommendation.  However, current progressive diabetes worker thinking tends
to be that you should learn proper eating principles, talk with a dietitian
(even if you have to pay for it) and come up with a food plan that
simultaneously meets your likes and dislikes and is relatively
diabetes-healthy.  The fly in the ointment is that what's a healthy diet for
one diabetic may not be for another although there are some
generally-accepted principles.

Were I you, I'd ask the person who adamantly recommends the book if he/she
is so "sent" by it, would he/she read it to you.  But, frankly, you're
*going* to have to do a bit of studying, i.e., from BARD and RFB&D.  As I
wrote earlier, read Gretchen Becker's book.  It won't give you menus but it
will give you the knowledge to design your own menus.  Also, the Joslin and
American Diabetes Association guides, available on BARD, talk quite a bit
about food and BARD has several diabetes cookbooks that have lots of recipes
and meal plans.  Even the book on BARD, "Sex and Diabetes" has a discussion
of meal plans.  I disagree with some of its principles but it's a good
start.

Talk about Atkins will get you ostracized by some diabetes workers including
many at the American Diabetes Association.  However, even ADA is beginning
to get the message that low-carb often works quite well for diabetics.  You
have to figure out what works for you.

Mike