[Diabetes-talk] Understanding product nutritional information

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Jun 17 15:15:48 UTC 2011

To know how much carbohydrate you should count in determining what affects your blood glucose, you also need to know the fiber content of the item. As with "total carbohydrate", this is given in grams per serving. If this number is greater than 3 or 5 grams (depending upon which guru you're reading), subtract this from the total carbohydrate to yield the amount of carbohydrate that will affect you. Of course, it goes without saying that if you eat *two* servings, you double these amounts) (grin)

Just to complicate things, if the carbohydrate is in the form of a sugar alcohol, it's generally accepted to count *half* of it as affecting your blood glucose.

Mike