[Diabetes-talk] Is losing Braille reading inevitable

Julie Kline julie.kline at rochester.rr.com
Fri Oct 28 17:40:51 UTC 2011

Good afternoon,
I am thinking of buying a Braille display for my pac mate and I just
wondered if this was a wise idea given that I have type 2 diabetes.  I know
a lot of people who are diabetic who say they can't read Braille, and I
don't want to purchase something and then find out a year later I can't use
it because I can't feel the dots.  I've read Braille all my life and am
proficient at it.  I don't have any trouble telling the difference between
the dots, no finger pain, no loss of feeling in anything, no nerve problems,
and my a1C is 7.8 which my doctor says is good but he still wants to get
down to 6.  Just from a perspective of whether or not I will be able to
continue to read Braille, is this a good idea?

Thanks.
Julie