[Diabetes-talk] Starting Exercise classes

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 20:30:37 UTC 2012

Julie,

Exercise has always been important to me, and I was very physically
active as a teen. When I lost my vision at age 22, I didn't find it
difficult to continue an exercise routine, though some alternative
techniques are helpful.

Whether it be exercise, work, school or anything else, if you go into it
with confidence, people usually pick up on this aura, and will be more
likely to help you instead of hinder you. Even if you don't feel
completely confident, still act as though you are, and this includes
having the sense to ask questions and admit you don't know all the
answers but are willing to learn as you go along.

Now, if you plan on using equipment like treadmills, elliptical, rowers,
weight machines and anything similar, you can always ask if the gym will
allow you to mark machines and equipment with clear Braille labels, if
you use Braille. My husband and I have done this with our equipment at
home as well as the equipment in our complexes gym. Another solution
would be for a gym employee to assist you in setting a piece of
equipment up when you come in to use it so you have the settings you
want. I would recommend you do an initial tour of the facility anyway as
well as have a staff member demonstrate any equipment you may wish to
use. I too use a cane, and there's absolutely no reason you can't
navigate a gym safely and competently. Regardless of how a gym may feel
about a blind member, they have no precedence, or right,  to deny you
services or assistance, or rescind your membership.

Exercise classes can be trial and error for anyone because you will want
to find one you enjoy, but you may be more comfortable in some classes
over others in terms of the level of accommodations required. Most
aerobic-based classes will not be too difficult to follow if you have an
instructor or fellow member to assist you in learning the steps and
motions. An instructor may even be willing to work with you individually
to learn things since many classes end up pretty fast-paced. Yoga and
pilates classes are quite easy because you are learning to hold poses
meaning it's can be easier to follow and easier for a person to assist
you with manipulating the proper pose. Again, it may take trial and
error, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Eating more protein will help keep sugars stable. If you plan on
exercising during a typical meal time, first consult your doctor what
they recommend, two, eating similar foods at the same times each day
will help acclimate your body to the routine, and again, eating more
protein helps stabilize glucose readings. I'm a late eater, and I also
tend to exercise late as well. Test before and after exercising, and ask
your doctor about protein bars you can eat after exercising. I've
personally not noticed this, but some people have experienced more
stable sugars when eating Glucerna products before and after exercising;
it's something to consider. And obviously exercise is really good for
diabetics. As long as you test regularly, eat properly and are prepared
for things, there's no reason exercise can't be a part of a diabetics
daily routine. I work-out four to six times a week, and I prefer to do
outdoor exercise such as power-walking on the trail near my house, or
some athletic exercise like swimming or playing soccer, but living in
Nebraska, the weather doesn't always support outdoor activity so I often
opt to use an elliptical machine or stair-step, and I always do floor
exercises and stretches. Once you fall into a routine, it becomes second
nature.

As for the hubby, it won't kill him to take care of himself a few nights
a week, grin!

If you have more questions, or I haven't answered something, please feel
free to contact me.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: