[Diabetes-talk] Diabetes and the long term issues

Bonna Williamson bwilliamson at redeemer.net
Thu Feb 28 18:40:47 UTC 2013

Hello to All:

These recent experiences are very interesting. I have been a diabetic for 43 years. I became a diabetic at the age of 5 and now am 53. So, a long time. I can remember yes, glass syringes, and lente insulin, urine testing and such. So, today's technology has been terrific so far. I too like many of you have lost my sight from diabetes. I was 25. I am currently working as a School Counselor in a Lutheran School. I love what I do but do miss my dance studio from the past when I had sight. I am currently working with a 3 and ½ year old that became a diabetic last year. She lives 2 houses down from me. She is a real trooper. She just got her pump, bright blue I tell you how she is a mess. She comments each day that I take care of her for a few hours, giving mom a break, that I am a part of her diabetic team, really cute. She is really learning and it just appears so simple from her world but knowing all of the consequences of high blood sugar and such I fear for her future. I never knew or was told about the teeth issues. I have been blessed with good teeth but my husband is a diabetic. He has had many teeth issues but appears to have done better of late. I too like many of you do not have the flexiability that I once had. Insulin can cause so many calcium issues you cannot imagine. Frozen shoulders, trigger fingers and such are just to name a few. I have had all and more. I do miss the flexibility. In my past life being a dancer and all I really get ticked when I just do not have the flexibility to do what I use to be able to. Gastro Paresis is and has been for 23 years my largest problem. Yes, I agree it can and does sneak up on you when you least expect it. By using medications, diet and good blood sugars it appears to stay in its cage for the time being.
I too, like many of you would like to see a cure. Not only for the future children and adults but maybe for us as well to slow down the progression of break downs of the body functions.  I have been able to handle the blindness, wish there was more I could do, but for now it is holding its own. The largest area for diabetics that are blind is having medical technology talk. I am not able to read Braille do to all of the finger sticks and such but talking pumps would be nice. Maybe Santa Claus will bring one this year, probably not..sigh.  So, I appreciate all of you and your thoughts. I have enjoyed all the questions and answers. Besides I have learned a lot.  Take care to all of you and I look forward to seeing a cure soon for diabetes and maybe Santa claus will come through this year..
Bonna Williamson
School Counselor
Redeemer Lutheran School
Austin, Texas