[Diabetes-talk] smart lancet

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun May 19 21:59:33 UTC 2013

You are correct that the money is to be made from test strips, at least in
the current marketing model. But there's no foundation to the usual
assertions of conspiracy theorists who say that Big Pharma is either
suppressing or not developing X (pick your medical technology of choice)
because they'd make less money with X. Be assured that Big Pharma wouldn't
go out of business for lack of test strip or lancet sales.

The real problem is that accurately measuring blood glucose in blood or
intersticial flouid via infrared spectroscopy or reflection of light by or
shining of light through intersticial fluid (note that this is *not* a
measurement using blood) is proving much more problematic than was
originally forecast. The most plausible methodI ever heard of  was that an M
I T physicist claims he has come up with an algorithm -- a mathematical
calculation -- that supposedly accurately *predicts* blood glucose from the
reflectivity of intersticial fluid. Note that this is not a *measurement*
but a best-guess prediction. Really now, would *you* be satisfied with a
mathematical prediction or don't you want a real, measured value? I know
what my answer is.

As I say, it's pretty easy to gauge oxygen percentage because oxygen is
highly reactive and there's plenty of it in the blood else you wouldn't be
reading this. Also, you're dealing with a single element. Contrast this with
trying to ascertain the amount of a complex molecule -- glucose -- in your
blood; this is something that requires chemical analysis, not just a
measurement.

In fact, to date, all these "promising" stickless measuring devices have
been Vaporware or, alternatively, have been far better at bamboozling
hopeful diabetics and parting potential investors from their free cash than
they have been actually producing a working device that's sufficiently
accurate to gain FDA 510(k) approval.

Mike Freeman