[Diabetes-talk] The DAN Shall Go On, In Colorado

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Sat Sep 7 23:34:34 UTC 2013

Hello,

Some of you may remember that I tried getting enough interest in people here in Colorado, to start a Diabetes Action Network Division. I was amazed at the lack of response, honestly. I mean throughout our state, not here on the list. Ultimately, it was pretty much set aside and didn't come together at last year's state convention.

About a month ago I had some sort of revelation I guess you could say, and I know this state would benefit from an active division of the DAN here in Colorado. It's somewhat of a passion of mine, I've found. So I've taken on the crusade. Even if it takes a while, and honestly, even if it's just a couple of us for a few years, there will be information shared for and about blindness and Diabetes to Coloradans. ;-)

My wife is actually involved and excited about it, too. She was a CNA and is now an M.A. and so we're double-teaming 'em. Our plan is that while I'm talking to people and schmoozing it up, handing out literature and CDs, Lisa uses her skills to offer glucose testing and blood pressure testing while we're at various health fairs. We just hosted our 1st table for the (future) DAN of Colorado, at our 1st health fair here in Colorado Springs. And we just got an invite through that, to another. The index cards we've had printed up have the Diabetes Action Network name & our contact info on them, and Lisa writes in the date & time, and the glucose level, time of last meal, and the blood pressures. We give these to the people who want the tests done, and they take it to their doctor -- with our information on every card.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to all who have helped me with various tips and inspiration, and I'm very thankful for this list. ;-)

Strive On!
Everett
In Colorado Springs, CO
everett at everettgavel.com