[Diabetes-talk] The DAN Shall Go On, In Colorado

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Sep 8 01:45:11 UTC 2013

Everett:
Normally, I'd answer off -list. But this is probably important for all to read.
I admire your enthusiasm. And I don't have a problem with table -skirts and banners though DAN hasn't had these nationally as shipping and keeping track of them would be a problem and they wouldn't accomplish much at our national conventions. I did have a banner when I had a booth at an AADE convention some years back. But it was a flimsy banner and wasn't made to last beyond the single event.
With respect to testing people's blood and the like at health fares, I am going to issue an edict with which many on this list may disagree. If you feel sufficiently strongly about this, you may speak with Dr. Maurer about this and he can overrule me. The edict is this: you will not, I repeat NOT, conduct testing or other similar procedures that involve extraction of blood or other similar activities at health fares or other public venues -- even our own conventions. Why do I say this? Two reasons. First, we do not want involvement in procedures that could incur the risk of liability for nfb or any of its divisions. We owe a fiduciary duty to our contributors not to involve their tax -exempt contributions with risk.
Second, nfb does not deal with prevention of blindness. We deal with adjustment to blindness by those who are already blind or who are going blind. Likewise, nfb and DAN do not deal with prevention of diabetes or risk assessments for diabetes; we help those who already have diabetes and, more specifically, we help those who are coping with both diabetes and blindness. This is enough of a task that we don't have to take on the greater task of diabetes prevention.
So let us keep our eyes on the price -- helping blind diabetics.
On the other hand, the more information you get out there about nfb, blindness and diabetes, the better.
Mike freeman