[Diabetes-Talk] Somebody ground me, please?

Vincent Chaney Jr. vgc732 at optonline.net
Sun Feb 10 03:28:52 UTC 2019

Veronica and fellow pumpers,

The following document from the CMS.gov describes diabetes supplies and equipment by Medicare. The wording of "insulin for an insulin pump" may have to be included. A few years ago Medicare broke diabetes into multiple codes without informing doctors, pharmacies, or us patients. This PDF from August 2018 says we insulin pump users are supposed to be covered under Medicare Part B. A few years ago the Medicare changes put insulin automatically under part D. What I did was ask my doctor to write scripts saying insulin for the insulin pump and I spoke with my local Rite Aid pharmacy to have them change insulin to Part B noting it's for my insulin pump. I was even reimbursed for the copayment under part D when the correction was made.

Vincent

https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNMattersArticles/Downloads/SE18011.pdf