[Diabetes-Talk] Introduction, Accessible Non Stic Glucometers

sjryan2 at gmail.com sjryan2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 23:48:25 UTC 2021

Hi Peter,

The Continuous Glucose Monitors are pretty accessible. The problem is that,
as a "borderline," you wouldn't qualify for one under insurance or Medicare.
It could be very helpful for people like you and me to have one of these
devices. My doctor has told me I need test only once a day, which gives me
only knowledge of my blood sugar at one point in the day. The CGM's check
your blood sugar, I think, every 5 minutes so you can, for instance, see
when it's high or low, and determine how many hours each day your sugar is
high or low. But as blind diabetics who don't have high enough A1C's, we
aren't eligible for these devices. And between the purchase of the unit and
the ongoing costs of sensors and transmitters, they're quite expensive to
buy on one's own.

To the rest of you, this issue has frustrated me for several years, and I
just wanted to explain. On the one hand, I'm fortunate that my glucose
levels are not as high as many people's. On the other hand, until they are
that high, I'm being watched and receiving no real treatment or tools to
help it stay that way.

Sandi