[Diabetes-Talk] dexcom Cost. Why is it so secret?

pmdonahue2 at gmail.com pmdonahue2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 21:15:13 UTC 2021

Good afternoon everyone,

	After reading about the Dexcom several nights ago I searched the
Internet for the cost of one of these systems if one bought it
out-of-pocket. I found pages discussing the cost but no actual amounts were
given. It would be helpful if the manufacturers of this equipment would post
pricing information on their Websites to allow patients who may not qualify
for inxurance coverage to obtain pricing to best determine how they can
cover the cost if bought without assistance.

	Since I have sleep apnea I went through this same nonsense when I
needed to buy a nazle pillow for my ByPAP machine. When I contacted my
insurance provider I was told that since they recently bought me a new mask
which is what the nazle pillow is I was not eligeable for an additional mask
for another year. I then asked about the cost of the nazle pillow if I were
to buy it out-of-pocket as I was in need of a different kind of BYPAP mask
and replacing it wouldn't wait. I was told that they could not give me that
information. I hung up a very unhappy camper.

	I had a similar thing happen in 2014 when I underwent an employment
evaluation for work at our local lighthouse for the blind. I learned from my
counselor at the time that the cost for the evaluation was around $300.0
something I could have paid for myself and wouldn't have had to have the
Texas Division of Blind Services involved.

	While many folks need assistance with covering the cost of this
equipment and services there are those who have decided to distance
themselves from blindness rehabilitation systems as much as possible and
cover the cost of products and services they need to manage their diabetes
and to cover other blindness and life expenses via other channels. However
we can't make these decisions if the information we need to make them isn't
readily available. Why should I involve my insurance company if I'm a
borderline diabetic and it wouldn't be covered anyway. It would be crazy if
the Dexcom is around $100.00 for the system and a small amount for
replacement sensors something I could cover out-of-pocket quite easily? It's
time companies that provide medical supplies and rehabilitative services
such as that offered by state programs for the blind make product and
service pricing freely available to allow individual consumers to determine
the best course of covering their cost. All the best.

Peter Donahue