[Diabetes-Talk] using my prodedgy voice

Patricia Maddix pmaddix at comcast.net
Sat May 22 20:24:13 UTC 2021

Sheila,
It is indeed a challenge but here are a few tips. I do not tend to bleed well so to prepare for the fingerstick I will wash my hands and very warm water which tends to bring the blood to the fingertips and then let my hand hang down to my side for a while and even shake it to further bring blood to the fingertips. Then prick on either side of the finger tip.  Then as you  may have been told in the past, I milk the fingertip a little bit gently or even run my fingers along the entire finger pushing more blood towards the tip. You don’t want to overdo this process as I have been told that that can give an incorrect reading but a little bit of milking definitely helps. My pinky finger and the one right next to it have the least calluses and bleed the best. At the time I prick, I am very careful to note where I felt the little jab and then I’ll place the test strip at a 45°  angle Directly below that spot just above my first joint. Then I slowly move the strip up my finger and with luck will run right into the drop of blood
Hope this helps
Patricia

Sent from my iPhone