[Diabetes-Talk] Traveling with insulin

Patricia Maddix pmaddix at comcast.net
Fri Jun 17 02:28:55 UTC 2022

These are all good advice. It is correct that the current insulin that you are using can be kept at room temperature and for most insulins they are described as being good for 28 days. Your extra insulin which of course you will want to bring plenty of in case of a problem with the current one should be kept refrigerated. My doctor has told me that once any insulin has been kept at room temperature for a while that it needs to be used within 28 days and not repeatedly put in the refrigerator and then warmed up again to room temperature. I have a small lunch size ice chest that I put a frozen ice packet in when on travel days along with my lunch and other food and then I always make sure I have a refrigerator or honor  bar in my room to keep my extra insulin until traveling home again.  Be sure to not put your insulin vile or pens directly on the ice pack as if the insulin freezes it ruins it. I always have a little towel or some crumpled up paper towels to separate them.
Patricia

Sent from my iPhone