[Diabetes-Talk] Diabetes and Colonoscopies

Patricia Maddix pmaddix at comcast.net
Wed Mar 15 22:11:22 UTC 2023

The dietary restrictions for two or three days before the event, 10 to vary a bit from one doctor to another, but generally include some kind of restriction of fruits and vegetables and whole grains so that the diet is low in fiber. The day prior to the event includes no solid foods, but does include clear liquids. I have always been told to avoid things that are red or purple so Jell-O generally is orange, lemon, or lime. Juices allowed for me were apple juice and white grape juice. Other allowed liquids are broth, Gatorade, regular or sugar free depending on your doctors recommendations, diet, 7-Up, diet Sprite or regular soda should you get a low blood sugar.  Many oral medication’s for diabetes nowadays are not inclined to cause a person to get a low blood sugar, but should it get low you can always use the allowed regular juices or soda.   If you take oral medication, you should probably check with your doctor who prescribed the medication about whether it could cause a low blood sugar and if you need to adjust the dose for the procedure.  You will be fine with the clear liquids. Because a lot of the clear liquid items  are high in sugar I usually do some in the diet version and some regular limiting portions to small, frequent ones. The important thing is to stay well hydrated throughout the day. I have found that I Needed to rely on my endocrinologist, or at least primary care physician for advice on how to handle the diabetes prior to the event as the laboratory staff who gave the recommended guidelines  are  not  at all educated in diabetes issues. For example, I am a type. 1 on an insulin pump, and they told me not to take my insulin the morning of the procedure!
I have had several colonoscopies, but found a trick this last time that I wish I had discovered previously. The liquid preparation that you have to drink does taste pretty awful, and I found that I would alternate. Big gulp of it, followed by a big gulp of chicken broth to Get rid of the aftertaste.
Hope my experiences help a bit.
Patricia

Sent from my iPhone