[Diabetes-Talk] Insulin In Pumps?

Patricia Maddix pmaddix at comcast.net
Wed Sep 6 20:05:21 UTC 2023

Eileen,
This has happened to me as well and my insurance company indicates that this is correct. I was previously getting my insulin under my part D coverage as I was able to get it for $35 a month with a three month supply. I knew that the new Medicare regulation For insulin being used in Pumps was going to go into effect July 1, 2023 with a $35 a month copayment. So my insulin was switched to my part B as of July 1. This was no monetary benefit for me, but what it will do for next year is hopefully keep me out of the donut hole longer as insulin that is billed through part B does not apply towards the donut hole/coverage gap. my pharmacist who is generally very knowledgeable was totally clueless about billing through part D or part B and it actually had to be set up in my account with my Medicare advantage plan so that when the pharmacy charges it it automatically goes through part B. My insurance plan had previously told me that if it was billed through part B, I would have a 20% copayment which would’ve been a lot worse than the $35, I was paying so I didn’t explore that any further. Perhaps it was actually supposed to be at no charge but as everyone says this is so confusing.
Patricia.

Sent from my iPhone