[Diabetes-Talk] Best Meters for the totally blind
Patricia Maddix
pmaddix at comcast.net
Wed Aug 12 04:57:56 UTC 2026
Prodigy Voice seems to be the one that most people are using and it is totally accessible. I personally use the Contour meter that has an app on my iPhone where I get the blood glucose value with voiceover. I got the MEATER and strips from Amazon. I needed a little help originally pairing the MEATER with the app on my phone, but I’m not as good with technology as some so others may be able to do it alone and the company has a good technical support phone line that can assist. Once everything is paired and set up the blood glucose value consistently appears in the app and I can always read it with voiceover. I don’t use any of the other information in the app other than just to get the current blood glucose value. This brand of meter is supposed to be particularly accurate and I have found it to be so.
Patricia.
Patricia.
Sent from my iPhone
> On Aug 11, 2026, at 9:31 PM, Ineyda Velasquez via Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> Last time I shopped around for accessible meters was almost 20 years ago, so I imagine that I am not as knowledgeable about the number of options available these days. I have a Dexcom G7, but I would like a Meter to have as backup. What is everyone using , particularly those who can’t read print? Are there more options for us out there for us other than Prodigy? I use an iPhone, so am open to receiving readings by phone as well if that is something people are able to do. I am completely blind, so obviously the more accessible the better, however I am just as interested to hear even the slightly accessible options out there if things can be worked around.
>
> Thank you for any answers.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Diabetes-Talk mailing list
> Diabetes-Talk at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Diabetes-Talk:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org/pmaddix%40comcast.net
More information about the Diabetes-Talk
mailing list