[Dtb-talk] A Baffling Problem

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Apr 1 02:08:38 UTC 2009

Try checking the downloaded books (they're zip files) with Winzip,
Winrar or one of the other programs that unzips files -- Windows unzip
won't do the trick here. What you want to know is whether the files have
been completely downloaded, i.e., whether the zipfiles are complete and
will uncompress correctly. It is my understanding that NLS had a problem
about a month ago wherein books weren't completely downloaded and
therefore didn't install properly. In fact, it corrupted the bookmarks
and place-holders for the books so that one had to do a complete profile
reset, thus losing all your bookmarks. Apparently the current version of
the Stream Companion software didn't check the integrity of the zip
files; I'm told the new version will do so. In the meantime, you might
want to manually check the integrity of the zip files. I use the MSDOS
version of the Info-zip groups unzip software to check zip file
integrity but many other unzip utilities should work.

If after this you still don't have luck, you might want to do the
seven-second-reset on the Stream to see if this helps. If it doesn't,
I'd write to both NLS and Humanware about the problem.

NLS has been doing some site maintenance lately so perhaps they've found
another probem. I must admit that it never publicized the problem; they
were remiss in not doing so, I think.

Mike Freeman