[Dtb-talk] installing humanware companion

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Nov 27 00:48:02 UTC 2011

Sarah:

You don't really need the Humanware Companion software to put books on your
Stream. In any event, HW Companion won't download the books for you; you
must do that from the BARD site yourself using your favorite browser.
However, HW Companion may make it easier for you to put books on your Stream
in that it will automatically unzip the books and create the folders for
them on your Stream in the proper place. If you do not use HW Companion, you
will have to do these steps yourself. Truthfully, these steps aren't nearly
as hard as folks seem to be making them out to be; the real problem is that
most folks who encounter difficulties aren't thinking like computers, i.e.,
logically, step-by-step.

Still in all, HW Companion is kind of nice to have in that it will do things
like check for Stream software updates and a few other nifty features.

Your download difficulty isn't one involving JAWS; it's your browser trying
to save you from yourself. When you get that warning, if you tab over a bit,
you'll find a "go ahead and download anyway" button that will allow you to
download the software. You want to save the file and then run it. As with
any other program being installed on Windows 7, unless you've disabled User
Account Control (not advisable), you'll be asked if the installer can be
given permission to modify your system. You answer "yes" by hitting Alt+Y
and away you go.

One "gotchya": In the dialog to transfer books, HW Companion doesn't use
Windows 7 file dialog syntax, that is, the Search box is missing so if
you're used to Windows 7, you'll have to get used to doing things the way we
did under Windows 95, 98, ME and XP. But that's no hardship. Just play
around with it a bit and you'll get the hang of things.

Mike Freeman