[Dtb-talk] handheld scanners/reading machines

Mike Gilmore m_b_gilmore at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 02:16:12 UTC 2016

Hi everybody,

Couple of questions about handheld scanners/readers.

First, has anyone used the talking money reader made by Bureau of Engraving and Printing?  I read about it on the nLS web site.  Likes, dislikes, pros, cons, etc.?  Does anyone know of any hand held currency readers? Same question about likes, etc.

Now regarding scanning a book.  I've read about the KNFB and the Pearl (I think it's made by Humanware or Freedom Scientific--can't remember which.)  Likes, dislikes, etc.  I'm looking for a handheld reader because I have several books that are wider than the average HP scanner.  (As an aside, I must say I like what I read about the KNFB reader because you can hook it up to your computer and read the book in Microsfot wrd.  I've grown so used to reading documents and the internet at work with JAWS that I can't stand hearing the Stream's built-in voices.)

Thanks.

Mike