[Electronics-talk] iPhone v Blackberry

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Jul 14 14:25:17 UTC 2009

Jim,

>From what I have heard, the Blackberry and Orator will behave similarly to other phones with screen readers such as Mobile Speak.  However, it is not out yet, and
my understanding is that it needs to be used with a Blackberry server.

VoiceOver in the I Phone seems pretty complete, but the interface is completely different using a touch screen with gestures.  It should also be noted that the touch
screen and the gestures used are altered when VoiceOver is running so the phone behaves differently than it does without VoiceOver running.  Since this is all very
new, it is hard to really compare it with existing phones or even with the Blackberry.  Were you at the R&D meeting on Tuesday evening?  There was a fairly useful
and detailed presentation on the I Phone.  There is definitely a learning curve to using it, but the feeling is that it can be done.

Most of us feel less comfortable with the touch screen approach, but I think we have to be careful to not judge the approach until we have some significant
collective experience with it.  Clearly some good thought has gone into it.  I hope this helps some.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson