[Electronics-talk] Looking for a cheap accessible voice recorder

Oso Calmo osocalmo at yahoo.co.jp
Tue May 17 02:48:23 UTC 2011

Thank you, Frida, for telling me your experience.  In fact, I'm looking for
a much cheaper one: let's say $50 or $60.  There are lots of cheap voice
recorders, but either they are not accessible or they don't have computer
interface.

Is your Olympus voice recorder really good?
In fact, I had a sad experience last year when I tried
dm-4.  The menues talked but not all the time (all the items).  Sometimes I
had to wait a lot for the voice to come and there were some instances where
it didn't speak.  So, I thought that I would have to remember all the
instances it didn't talk to be able to use it comfortably.  There were some
instances when I had no idea about what was happening unless I ask someone
to look at the screen.
Also, I could use daisy to some extent, but it seems that to be able to do
fine jumps, etc, you have to rely on the screen.  I couldn't install the
software to easily exchange files with my computer, even using the latest
version of JAWS.  Jaws couldn't speak any dialogs of the installer and I
couldn't read them even in review cursor mode.  So I needed sighted
assistance to have it installed.

Its sound quality is very good and it has lots of interesting functions; so
I really wanted to be able to use it and buy one, but I got tired.  I
downloaded the manual from the internet and it was really difficult to read,
too: very specific and, as a result, full of repetitions, absolutely easy to
read for a sighted person, because they can easily jump to the desired item
and have all the information they need there, skipping the things they
already know.  The manual was wonderful for a random reading, but not for a
sequential reading.

I finally thought that the problem was me: that I might not be clever enough
to understand it and use it, but, then, a sighted person tested it for me
and told me that the interface was the problem and I could use it very
easily if I just could see the screen.

It seems that it's not enough for the blind to make a device that just
talks; many further considerations have to be made even before starting to
develop a device to come up with a plan that lets the blind use it
comfortably.

I think that Olympus is a great company, that they have great knowhow about
sound and recording and some sighted people told me that the design of the
device was really good.  Also, they were very kind when I called them for
support.  Just I had the impression that they should have made some more
research on the blind needs if they intended to make a good device for the
blind, or probably employ some blind people to test the devices that should
be easy for the blind to use.

Well, I suppose that there might be much better versions made by Olympus
this year.  Please let me know if yours is the case, since I don't want to
go thru a frustrating testing process like that again.  Last time, one of my
friends bought it so I could test it long before deciding to buy one or not,
but next time I might have to buy it first.

If someone could assure me that there is a certain version that a totally
blind person can use comfortably, I might buy one.

Now, however, I'm looking for a simple and cheap voice recorder, specially
easy to use, let's say as if it were a tape recorder.  I don't need to make
professional recordings, just to take some notes or study by listening to
recorded books on the go.

Thanks.