[Electronics-talk] accessible TV shows and how do we fix our TV's to get the audio?

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sat Jun 16 21:16:34 UTC 2012

This whole situation is a real mess.  So the networks are going to increase
the number of prime time hours dedicated to audio described programming.
But if you are blind and you have cable TV or one of the satellite
providers, this is of little consolation because there is no way to access
the SAP channel unless you have sighted help to navigate the onscreen menus
of the converter box to turn it on or off.  Presently, none of the cable or
satellite providers has any plans to offer accessible converter boxes, so
once again, we blind consumers are getting screwed over while the advocacy
groups pat themselves on the backs for increasing the amount of available
audio described programming. Imagine if the deaf had to rely strictly on
audible clues to turn the closed caption decoder on or off.  You can bet
their advocacy groups would scream bloody murder to the FCC.

Gerald

Gerald