[Electronics-talk] Computer Usage For Deaf Persons

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 7 02:24:08 UTC 2013

Besides utilizing the visual indicators in Windows to indicate an auditory
signal, I'm not coming up with another way that computers need to be adapted
for someone who has a hearing impairment.  However, there are a number of
ways in which a computer can be used to give a person with a hearing
impairment access to communication.  Some examples are:

.         Internet based TTY and captioned telephone service.

.         Video Phone with ASL interpreting

.         Remote Conference Captioning

.         Real-Time Captioning

.         Video Relay Interpreting

There is a software programs that some of my students at the university used
that was called iCommunicator.  This program utilizes both speech to text
and text to speech technology.  The voice of a hearing person is converted
to "Signed Exact English", as well as text that is displayed on the screen
and spoken out loud.  The person who is deaf is able to type what they want
to say and have it displayed on the screen and spoken out loud.

There is a stand-a-lone device called a UbiDuo.  This device is made up of 2
identical units that each include a QWERTY keyboard and a display.  It is
sort of like having an Instant Messenger conversation between a person who
is hearing impaired and a hearing person, but they are face-to-face.

If you or your friend have any additional questions, let me know how to
contact you off-line.

hTH,

Annette