[Electronics-talk] Android phones?

Baracco, Andrew W Andrew.Baracco at va.gov
Wed Aug 28 15:33:57 UTC 2013

Just make sure that whatever phone you get is running the latest version
of Android, currently 4.3, and that your carrier allows you to receive
updates as they roll out. This can get complicated because of the way
that the Android world works, namely, that manufacturers of devices can
install any version of Android that they wish, and especially with low
end phones, it is usually an older version that doesn't include the
latest accessibility improvements. The carriers can also get into the
act, by interfering with your ability to update firmware, because after
all, they sell phones, and they want you to buy new phones rather than
updating the phone that you have. Also, you can't count on the minimum
wage employee at your carrier's store to know anything about all this.
This is why many non geeks prefer Apple, because the stuff just works.

Andy