[Electronics-talk] built in backup software in windows 7

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 01:41:51 UTC 2013

I'll answer your questions below.

On 11/25/2013 06:23 PM, Ashley Bramlett wrote:
> Good, Can you say more? What does it backup exactly? Your whole harddrive?

Yes, it'll back up your whole hard drive or just the files and folders
you select. Note that it does not grab a whole disk image.

> When you say schedule backups, do you mean you can schedule it to backup automatically such as every week on wednesday?

Yes, exactly.

 > Also, I’m no tech expert with all its lingo. What are incremental and
differential backups? What is the difference?

An incremental backup backs up every file that has changed since the
last backup, which could be another incremental backup. A differential
backup backs up every file that's changed since the last full backup.
Therefore, if you were going to restore your system, you'd have to
restore the last full back up and then every incremental backup in turn.
Alternatively, you could restore the last full back up and then just the
last differential backup.

Note that I'm not sure the backup utility in Windows 7 still supports
differential backups. I couldn't find this documented any more and it
sounds like it just does a full backup and then incremental backups
after that.

 > I assume you can backup to your choice of storage device, like a USB
drive or sd card, right?

Yes,as well as other hard drives and network drives.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail