[Electronics-talk] talking thermostat?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Jan 1 18:25:47 UTC 2014

Lisa,

It is difficult to say for certain without knowing the specifics of your heating system, but the chances are that the available talking thermostats should work
on that kind of heating system.  One thing I would say, though, is that it is worth considering whether there is more you can do with your existing
thermostat before spending the money on two talking thermostats.  If your apartment building isn't real new, and even if it is, it is very possible that the
thermostats you have are very basic.  If a lever is moved to adjust the temperature, it is often possible to mark a thermostat like that so that it can be
useable by a blind person.  For example, one could have marks made either by making a small scratch or using a little clear nail polish to place marks at
65, 70, and 75.  With those marks, you can do a pretty good job of setting the temperature you want.

On the other hand, if you want a thermostat that is programmable, that is, will allow automatic changing of temperature during the night, talk to your
apartment building's caretaker and either give him or her the web site or print out the specifications.  They should know to whom they can talk to be sure
that the thermostat is compatible with their system.  They may not be willing to pay for a talking thermostat, though, because often the thermostat that is
already there is very basic and very inexpensive.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson