[Electronics-talk] Accessible Televisions

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sat Apr 25 10:31:00 UTC 2015

An accessible TV?  Are you living in a dream world or what?  There is
currently no such thing as an accessible TV in the US.  Panasonic has
exhibited a prototype of a large screen TV in Europe that have a built-in
voice guidance system, but I don't think this set is available yet in the
US.  Besides,it is very expensive, and would be priced well beyond the
financial means of most blind consumers.  If you are fortunate enough to
live in Comcast territory, their X1 set-top box offers built-in speech to
enable blind consumers to navigate the onscreen menus.  But other cable
operators, including Time Warner, which will not be merging with Comcast,
after all, have no plans to introduce accessible set-top boxes anytime soon,
despite provisions of the Telecommunications Act of 2010 which require them
to do so by the end of 2016.

Gerald