[Electronics-talk] Accessible Coffee Makers

Chip Orange Corange at PSC.STATE.FL.US
Mon Dec 14 17:47:25 UTC 2015

Hi,

First, you don't have to watch HSN at all (I agree with you!), you can just go to their web site and order from it or get the phone number to call.  Talking to them may help you in choosing the best model (I don't really see the differences except in how large they are, and so how much water they hold before needing a refill).

The only thing you need to buy is Tassimo T-discs of your favorite hot drinks.  Sometimes they give you a coupon or credit for ordering some which are free, and sometimes a sampler of some drinks actually comes with the brewer in the same box (so be sure to ask when they promise you free drinks, if you have to order them later).  If you do have to order them later, you may want to place an initial order for some along with the brewer.

My original order from HSN came with a bunch of different kinds of T-discs (that's the letter T, not the drink tea; the letter is just for Tassimo) in the box, and a coupon for getting more free ones from their official web site.

I don't see any difference between a late or capachino (I wonder if anyone can tell me?), but when you order those, you get a package usually with 8 milk pods and 8 coffee or tea discs (yes, you can get tea late, and my favorite drink is a spiced chai late, which is a tea with spices and a milk pod).

You can actually get a moca java hot drink which uses 3 pods, the chocolate syrup, the milk pod, and the coffee pod (I forgot how good that was last year and I need to reorder some right now!  I think it's gauranteed to have you zinging aorund the room with the chocolate and caffeine!).

Otherwise, without specialty pods, the packages are usually 16 discs of coffee or tea; the espresso makes (I think) a 6 ounce small drink, and the coffee usually makes 10 to 12 ounces I think.  I recommend the Earl Gray tea if you're a tea drinker.

There is nothing to see ... you can hear when your drink is ready when the noise stops (and give it a few seconds for the last few drips to get into your cup).  You only have to put the disc in, close the lid, and press the start button.

If you have a specialty drink, you put the syrup pod first, the milk pod next, and the coffe or tea last.

There is a little disc you can use to insert in place of a pod, and it will make a cup of boiling water come out of the brewer (and it's a good way to clean it out as well).

You can buy a special packet of hard water de-scaler which you run through the machine if you live in an area with really hard water; you may have to do this once a year or six months, depending on your area and how much you use it.

There's an on/off switch, and that's the only other control.

Keeping yourself stocked up with pods is literally the only problem (well, you do have to pop out the nozzle once in a while and run it through the dish washer or otherwise clean it).

It has a stand which adjusts for different cup heights, and acts as a drip catcher.  It's extremely simple, no filters to mess with, and everyone gets their favorite drink ... no arguing about how strong to make the coffee, and trying to make someone tea separately and all that.

Hth,

Chip

Chip Orange
Florida Public Service Commission