[Electronics-talk] [EXTERNAL] knfb reader app?

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 02:11:55 UTC 2015

Technically you're correct, tactile buttons aren't needed, but then
smart phones and OCR programs aren't needed either. Just because tactile
buttons aren't needed doesn't mean someone can't prefer or wish for
tactile buttons. I just read where RIM is coming out with an Android
based Blackberry phone that will have a slide out keyboard for those who
want a tactile keyboard, so at least someone thinks there are people out
there, and not just the blind, who would like a tactile keyboard. I know
several experienced smart phone users, blind and sighted, who would
prefer a smart phone with a keyboard if they could still find them. Some
people feel they type faster on a tactile keyboard. I know there are
times when I miss tactile keys, such as when I want to call someone in a
loud place, and I can't hear VoiceOver, or maybe I have to hold the
phone up to my ear while trying to enter a phone number on the virtual
keypad. Bottom line for me, is I don't think there's anything wrong with
someone wanting a different form factor for their phone.

On 07/15/2015 12:31 PM, David Evanss via Electronics-talk wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Buttons are not needed as the buttons are virtual today.
> The use of Voice Over, with its system of finger gestures is used to move
> around the touch screen and as your finger passes over an icon the phone
> reads it aloud to you.
> Tapping the button activates the option and just flicking your finger up,
> down, right or left moves the cursor across the screen, from icon to icon.
> Double tapping on the icon activates it and moves you from one screen to
> another or from one level in a menu to another.
> Phyisical buttons are not neded.
>
> David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail