[Electronics-Talk] some TIVO observations

Brad Hodges brad.hodges at outlook.com
Fri Dec 16 17:27:10 UTC 2016

A few quick notes and observations as I am using my TIVO.

Pressing and holding the "A" button for 2 seconds activates "Screen
Reader" spoken accessibility.

Pressing and holding the "A" button for 2 seconds disables Screen Reader

Pressing and holding the "B" button for 2 seconds activates description,
if available

Pressing and holding the "B" button for 2 seconds disables description.

When jumping through some programs, to bypass commercials, a new upward
tritone chime is heard. When this ends, the program content will resume.
Note, not all programs appear to offer this feature. I don't know if
there is a more advanced feature to jump over commercials.

There is an Accessibility option in the Settings Menu, but there appears
to be no choice in the behavior of Screen Reader.

TIVO customer support, while courteous, was totally unaware of the
availability of Screen Reader. The agent who helped me, was fascinated
as she heard my system in the background, during our call.

I have not been able to find out whether these same features are
available on TIVO boxes provided by cable operators.