[Electronics-Talk] smartphone for the blind

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 22 06:43:51 UTC 2017

Hi,
That Is understandable; high functioning tech savvy blind people seem to
forget there are blind people with multiple challenges and those with other
preferences. I don't learn technology as easily as some and have not used
many touch screens although when I get an ipad this will change.

I also prefer not to talk to my devices at least not a lot. I think its
disruptive  when in public and often disturbs the
people in quiet areas such as libraries or waiting rooms. I personally
really dislike it when we have our NFB meetings  and some blind person's
phone goes off and they answer it or worse they pull out their phone and
proceed to talk to it. Sometimes someone asks them to step out or use
headphones if they keep on swiping this way and that and voice over speaks
or they talk to seri or another person.
Talking to your phone or on the phone can be so disruptive and I feel that
many blind people do not realize the scene they cause by talking to their
phones; that or they do not care.

So, yeah, Sandra, I prefer not to talk to my phone or devices unless I'm in
a private space like my house or maybe a hallway where not many passers by
are so I can talk and have a bit of privacy and not to mention the fact that
I can hear my phone clearly without noise.

Sandra, you might try feature phones such as the gusto 3 lg tera someone
mentioned a few weeks ago.
I also know some blind people who have smart phones but use keypads or their
braille notetakers for commands instead of the touch screen; so if you need
a smart phone, pairing it with a keyboard might be a good fit for you.

Ashley