[Electronics-Talk] AT&T and accessibility

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sun Feb 12 18:10:26 UTC 2017

There seems to be a misconception that there is a "law" on the books that
requires cable companies to provide blind customers with accessible cable
boxes upon request.  While it is true that the Video and Telecommunications
Act of 2010 does include such a provision, it is essentially useless unless
the FCC chairman enforces it, which, by his actions so far, demonstrates
that he has no intention of doing.  So unless the cable companies decide to
offer accessible boxes "out of the goodness of their hearts", it just ain't
gonna happen. Of course, you could protest your outrage to the FCC Chairman
by sending him a petition, but he is reputed to be cold-hearted and
mean-spirited with regard to protecting the rights of consumers, so go ahead
and take your best shot and see whether it makes any difference.

Gerald