[Electronics-Talk] AT&T and accessibility

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 18:34:54 UTC 2017

There is no misconception here. There is a law on the books called the
Telecommunications Act of 2010 that says cable providers need to provide
accessible options to their blind customers.

The FC may or may not choose to enforce it, but that doesn't mean the
law isn't on the books. IMHO, we need to complain to our cable companies
and the FC to ensure we have accessible options. If the FCC chooses not
to enforce the law on the books then we need to lobby for politicians
and appointees who will enforce the existing laws.

If you listen to the person below then there's never a reason to do
anything but sit in your living room and tell everyone things will only
get worse. It used to be that the Chinese manufacturers don't care about
accessibility, so don't waste your time. Before that, it was the FCC is
only ever going to slap the cable companies on the wrist with a fine
which is cheaper then addressing accessibility, so they're not going to
do anything. I'm sure if we get an administration and an FCC that's more
aggressive in enforcing accessibility laws then there will be yet
another reason to sit in the dark and just curse the darkness.

This person never offers any constructive criticism, is nothing but
negative, and if you listen to him you'd never do anything to make the
world more accessible for the blind. Fortunately, there are those in the
NFB who are more positive and work to get laws like the
Telecommunications Act on the books.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail