[Electronics-Talk] Roku Accessibility

Brad Hodges brad.hodges at outlook.com
Mon Jan 23 15:10:41 UTC 2017

Peter and all:

The answer to your question is, as far as I know, all TV sets equipped
with ROKU are accessible, and that series 3600 hardware devices are also
able to use the voice guidance.

I just purchased the ROKU Ultra, $130, and I don't know of another
device which both excites me as much, and causes me such consternation
all at the same time.

An amazing number of the apps are completely accessible. I'm enjoying
Sling TV, both live programs and on demand. Similarly the apps for
several TV stations, KARE 11 and KSTP, from Minneapolis work very well,
allowing me to keep up with events where my family lives.

Now for the down side, the text to speech is about as bad as I have ever
heard. If you remember the old Echo synthesizers for PC's, they sounded
better.

It appears to be the case that the expensive device I have, and the
built in version sound the same.

It will be important to make sure you update the TV when you get it.

Note the web site to sign up for your account isn't accessible, at least
it wasn't for me. I have just received a message from ROKU engineering
and they promise a phone call later today.