[Electronics-Talk] Altice One cable box

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Dec 24 16:33:51 UTC 2018

We were supposed to get a new cable box, with a remote that you can talk to,
and, much more important, "voice guidance" that guides a blind person
through the menus.

The cable company website says:

Altice One: Audible UI

Altice One offers an audible UI (User Interface) that enables customers with
visual disabilities to interact with the platform to discover and enjoy
content.

How Voice Guidance Works

Voice Guidance "speaks" what's on the screen and includes details such as
program descriptions and navigational instructions to help customers
navigate the user interface decide what to watch.

Using your Altice One remote, you have the ability to independently change
channels, search for shows, enable closed captioning and more by using voice
commands.

But all the tech people know about is talking to the remote.  They all
insist that nothing will talk to me.

Do other people have some similar cable box, possibly with a different name?
Can anyone advise me? Are the tech people just ignorant, or is this yet
another accessibility lie?

I was all excited to finally have something that actually is usable, but no.
I'm so disappointed.  My cable company's "accessibility" is a bad joke, and
I'm not laughing.

Tracy