[Electronics-Talk] music apps and radio

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 00:00:48 UTC 2019

I can't answer all of your questions, but here's a few answers for you.

What I listen to most on TuneIn is sports. You'll need to subscribe to
the premium service, but this will give you access to the NFL, NBA, MLB,
NCAA and more.

I'm not sure about Siri, but I can use Google Assistant, including on my
Google Home, to bring up a station, so for example, I can say "hey
Google play ESPN radio". BTW, this also works on an Amazon Echo.

I find most streams by scrolling down through the list. For example,
I'll scroll down to sports and then double tap on NFL. I can now scroll
down through the NFL related streams, such as the Dolphins radio
broadcasts. I tend to use the list of recently played streams a lot. I
haven't taken advantage of the favorites list much, but I should
probably do that.

It does have a search feature, so I know in the past, I've searched for
WAER, the campus radio station at Syracuse University, and this is in my
favorites list. You can find stations and podcasts by using the search
feature or just scrolling through the various sections, such as
trending, music and so on. I can't speak to how many radio stations
you'll find from various cities.

TuneIn dropped their audio book feature a while ago.

In addition to radio stations, you'll have a lot of curated streaming
channels on TuneIn covering all sorts of genres, such as classical
music, rock and roll, and country. The premium service, in addition to
getting you access to the professional and college sports also gives you
ad free listening on these curated streams.

I do most of my podcast listening with Podcast Addict on my Galaxy S7,
but TuneIn does have podcasts. You can browse the lists or search for
podcasts. My favorite podcasts at the moment include Hard Core History,
99% Invisible, Eyes on Success and the Blind Bargains Qast.

On 7/24/19 4:42 PM, Ashley Bramlett via Electronics-Talk wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I sent some follow up questions to Tracy only and meant for the whole list.
>
> Here it is again with a few more questions.
>
> I plan to buy an ipad mini; Tracy said her ipod touch is good. But for me that is so small making the touch screen buttons more close together and cluttered and with low vision I prefer a slightly larger screen but also something very portable.
> Tracy, you experience mirrors that of other blind users though; they like ipod touches and iphones.
>
> I also own a VR trek recently acquired so this gives me access to oo tunes but I did notice it has no fm radio where you can browse frequencies. The older Braille Notes have fm radios and not sure about the new Humanware tablet notetaker; I believe its just internet radio now.
>
> So my questions.
>
> What is on the Tune-In app? Do you have favorite features?
> Can siri open the app and/or go to specific stations?
> I saw it and noticed it has a favorites list a and browse feature.
> I'm sure there is more that I'm not sure of especially since I am not great with exploring a touch screen. Although, I've gotten better at systematically touching it with a finger for exploration.
> On this app, how do you find stations you want?
> Does it have many stations from large cities such as Greenville SC and NC?
> Does it include stations of classical music, oldies, and religious music?
>
> Is oo tunes an app too?
> Does it have more or different features than tune-in?
>
> What features do you get when creating a free account?
>
> For those of you who paid some, what features are on that?
> Also, how do you find podcasts and what podcasts do you like?
> My friend said you can get books too on tune-in if you subscribe to it.
> If you have experience with this let me know such as what types of books it has.
>
> If you have experiences with other apps such as Pandora or freegal let me know.
> Its my experience that Pandora is not real accessible on a pc. Not sure about tune-in though.
>
> Is radio.com still not real accessible?
>
> For portable radios with frequency browsing, I have found that a portable radio with a traditional tuner works although I cannot read the screen showing the frequency I'm on.
> Another option is the VR trek if I have access to wifi and know what station I want.
> The other option is my old BrailleNote which has a fm radio as part of the media player.
> Another option is the Echo I have acquired recently but I  think the drawback here is you have to know what specific frequency you want. Amazon music has some general stations of certain genres, but they seem to play many songs I do not like.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to have a radio which talks so you know where you are always?
> Thanks,
> Ashley

Christopher (CJ)
Chaltain at Gmail