[Faith-talk] predestination

Stefan Slucki sslucki at chariot.net.au
Mon Nov 3 09:39:03 UTC 2008

Hi Antonio and list members,

Well Antonio, it absolutely does matter about what we think about and how we
respond to this matter, in my understanding.

I understand that God's Word Reveals to us two sides of the Salvation coin.
God's Side -- Predestination also called Foreordination and man's side i.e.
responding in personal faith-trust to the Gracious Invitation of Jesus
"whosoever will let him come to me" "whoever comes to me I will never drive
away" [or cast out].

Different branches of the church emphasise either of these "sides".

For me, if God, in Christ, "died for all the world" every individual but has
absolutely left the initiative (the first move) towards Salvation to man,
then it's theoretically possible that Jesus Died for nothing and no one.

However, before He suffered and died on the cross, He repeatedly thanked the
Father for Giving Him a People and Affirmed that He would Securely
Accomplish their Salvation.

As has been said on list, already, read your Bible carefully and prayerfully
and see which statements support these two "sides".

Whichever position a Christian holds (and we are all somewhat inconsistent
at points) the question we must firstly settle with the Lord for ourselves
and direct our searching or unsaved friends to answer is:  if I am a guilty
sinner before a Holy God, how can I be acquitted of my guilt for my sin?

The answer is, of course, by throwing ourselves on God's Mercy in Christ,
trusting Jesus' Promises of Forgiveness and Life and showing evidence of
that trust by repenting of our sin.

I hope that is as helpful a reflection to you on this fascinating doctrine
as it was for me when I first came to grips with it.

Stefan Slucki.