[Faith-talk] Blindness and church

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 13:28:21 UTC 2010

I agree that it would be ashame to segregate old and young in church.  I
don't know about a variety of churches; I belong to a church that definitely
does not segregate, and sings old hymns, some of which sound rather draggy
and depressing, and there is gentle pressure by some to modernize the
hymnbook. On the other hand, it would be a shame to lose touch with older
hymns that are classics, as singing the melody and words when you feel down
can help you in daily life.  There are programs for the youth and popular
gospel music, some of which I love, but the hymnbook remains rather old.
As for modern music, sometimes certain types of music, such as some heavy
metal, can sound depressing and wearing, even if the words are uplifting or
inspiring.  I heard one a while back that sounded like a typical negative
blast of obscene material, but knewing it was labeled as "Christian music" I
listened to the words closer and it was about the holy spirit. I didn't
think the music matched the words.  And since the words were hard to hear, I
think the music was not really appropriate.
There is a happy medium, isn't there?
--le