[Faith-talk] Response

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Wed Aug 10 03:23:31 UTC 2011

Hi all,

OK, I have to say some things here.

We come from different faiths and backgrounds. Some of us have
changed denominations and/or Church affiliations at least once in our
lives. Many, though they are Christians in the Biblical sense of the
word, are not taught strict separation. Our beliefs are based on what
our pastor teaches us and what we glean from our own personal Bible
reading and study.

Joshua, you say that you don't sin anymore, now that you are saved.
That is not Biblical, which has already been mentioned: "If we say we
have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."
That's you. You seem to think, as as also been mentioned, that
everything you believe is right, and you have no tolerance for
others' beliefs on this list. We all know you're an Apostolic, so
quit trying to cram your beliefs down our throats. People will not
feel free to join in on our discussions here if you always make them
feel that what they believe and hold to is wrong, just because you
are so vocal.  You like to hear yourself, but, personally, I'm tired
of your rantings and ravings.

While I appreciate your beliefs, I'm not going to change mine. You
are a sinner saved by grace. You are a sinner as long as you are on
this earth; you just don't want to sin, nor do you persist in known
sin. You're not better than the rest of us, but you come across as
though you believe you are.

I am an Independent Baptist, and a Calvinist. Since moving to
Nebraska almost 7 years ago, I have worn only dresses and skirts, and
I wear my hair below my ears so as to be a covering. I know of
nowhere in Scripture where women are told never to cut their hair.
This would be impractical; imagine trying to walk without stepping on
your hair because it's dragging on the ground after so many years of
not being cut. Also, I don't wear earrings or make up. This is
because this is what my church teaches, and I believe it to be right.
I wasn't taught anything of the sort in the other churches I was in,
and the last was a Baptist Church. I also don't have a TV or go to
movies, or smoke (never did), or drink any alcohol. But I know I
probably do other things and say things, or think thoughts that are
not pleasing to God. Why? Because I'm still living here on earth.

At first, when I was made aware of the teachings of my present
Church, I thought they were legalistic. But, when showed in the
Scriptures, my heart and attitude were changed. Does that make me a
better Christian than everyone else? No, but it makes me better than
I was. None of us has arrived, and we all are growing and learning on
this journey of life.  Does that mean that I expect others to live
like me? No, unless we attend the same Church.

As to why Christians smoke or drink, or swear, well, maybe God hasn't
gotten complete control of their lives. Frankly, there are times when
He doesn't have control of my life! Or maybe the Church they attend
doesn't preach against these things; many do not. That doesn't mean
they aren't Christians. Being a Christian means that Christ has
chosen you, and you have responded by repenting and allowing Christ
to live in you. Many have allowed Christ to live in them, but they
haven't been taught that they need to give up these things, and many
others. Or, maybe they struggle with these things, and can't seem to
get the victory over them. So, stop judging others. We can judge
others only according to Scripture; we shouldn't compare one to
another. And, we should not think more highly of ourselves than we
ought. And don't expect others to live as you do in order to be
saved, or in order to prove to you that they are a Christian. They
don't have to prove it to us, but we can be a fruit inspecter!

I also believe that once I'm saved, I'm always saved. If I had to
worry about it, I'd never have assurance of my salvation; nor could I
trust that what Christ did for me is enough. I'd always wonder if I
did something to get myself unsaved. That cheapens what Christ did,
and gives me way too much power over my own destiny. How arrogant and
self-serving.

When we accept Christ as our Saviour, the Holy Spirit comes in to us.
This does not mean that we speak in tongues; Paul says in I
Corinthians 13 that tongues shall cease. On the day of Pentecost, the
disciples spoke in different languags so that those present would be
able to understand the Gospel message in their own tongue. Now, what
is called tongues is an unintelligible bunch of nonsense syllables
that mean absolutely nothing; and you're encouraged to try and see if
you have the gift of tongues. Well, if it's a gift, you don't have to
try it; which tells me that it's not a gift at all, at least not a
gift from God.

Regarding the Trinity, this word isn't used in Scripture, but is
inferred. It doesn't mean that there will be three persons sitting on
one throne. Our finite minds cannot quite grasp the concept. It's
sort of like an egg, which has the shell, the white and the yolk. All
three parts make up the egg. I know it's poor, but it's the best we can do!

We are all at different places in our walk with Christ, and in
Christian maturity. It's not your way or the highway. There is only
one road to heaven, and that's through Jesus Christ, God's Son. Each
of us has a story, each of us has a life to live to live, and we will
go to heaven or hell based on what we did with Jesus: accept or reject Him.

Now, don't unsubscribe from this list just because you think I'm
picking on you, or you disagree with this post. Be mature about it,
and continue to grow in the knowledge of your Lord Jesus Christ.

Blessings,

Linda