[Faith-talk] There is now neither male nor female, but all are one in Christ Jesus.

Fr. John Sheehan xaviersocietyfortheblind at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 15:11:47 UTC 2011

Obviously the best course is to learn to read Hebrew and Greek. I'm not being
silly - in my studies I learned enough Greek in one intensive summer course to
be able to get through the New Testament. Haltingly, looking up a lot along the
way, but it got better and easier and much more enriching. Hebrew is more
difficult, but worth the effort.

But realizing that won't happen for more people, two thoughts on translations.
The first is to realize how much Bible scholarship has improved since the King
James version was done - and remember, it was done for a King in a politically
charged period, where religion was a major political topic. Some translations
reflect that. Good translations today have linguistic and archaeological
knowledge the translators did not have back then. The old English is lovely to
hear, but often not to be relied on if your interest is going back to the
original text.

Which leads to my second observation - you need to know what you are going to
use the text for when you select a translation. For prayer, I use the Jerusalem
translation. For study, when I need an English text, the RSV is the closest to
the text, both in structure and usage. (NOT the New RSV, where political
correctness and the desire to be inclusive influenced the translation.) The RSV
does not try to smooth out the English to make it easier to read or more
interesting, they adhere to the structure as well as the vocabulary of the
original language.)

Some folks will always try to find ways to sell new editions. Remember the
Reader's Digest Bible several years ago, where editors simply cut out anything
they thought uninteresting. They lost most of the Book of Leviticus, for example
- too many laws. There have been several feminist Bibles, attempts at gender
neutral translations, and I'm sure there will be more in the future.
Fr. John R. Sheehan, SJ
Chairman

Xavier Society for the Blind
154 East 23rd St
New York, NY 10010
(212) 473-7800
Help us raise money for the Xavier Society for the Blind just by searching the
Internet or shopping online with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by
Yahoo! Free for you - and money for us! Thank you.