[Faith-talk] What Is Faith?

Rex Leslie Howard, Jr. rex at littlelaw.com
Fri Jun 3 20:00:03 UTC 2011

Hi All, I thought I'd share a Bible study and partial testamony with you.
This is quite lengthy and I realize that reading this might be time
consuming but I thought I'd share it in the event that some of you would
like to read a study on faith. This is perhaps one of the most personal
Bible studies I have ever written. I sincerely hope it is a blessing to you.

  _____

What Is Faith

By Rex Leslie Howard, Jr.

Rex.howard at gmail.com

rex at littlelaw.com

Saturday, September 26, 2009

9,818 words on 32 pages

Approximate reading time is 35 minutes

Preface

 Proverb 24:16a                         For a just man falleth seven times,
and riseth up again:

Philippians 1:6                         Being confident of this very thing,
that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of
Jesus Christ:

Greetings,

On October 1, 2007 I wrote a Bible study entitled "What Is Wisdom?" From
that time to the present, I have not written a study. This is unusual for me
because from 2005 to late 2007 I wrote a number of studies.

Each time I began to write, God ministered to me and I learned as I taught
through Godly inspiration.

>From 2005 through most of 2007 I functioned at an extremely high level of
spiritual awareness. God ministered to me on a daily basis. My prayers were
answered even in the most unbelievable circumstances. I radiated happiness,
joy and grace. I understood the meaning of unconditional love and
acceptance. I played in a praise and worship group in my local church. I
taught Sunday school to teenagers and adults. I preached a few sermons from
the pulpit when the elder Pastor was away.

I enjoyed the love and respect of the entire congregation.

I lived for God and couldn't wait for him to minister to me. I prayed for
deeper understanding. I asked that I be given the strength to show the glory
of the Lord in all circumstances.

Sometimes life seemed like a dream to me.

And then something happened.

Sadly I lost my way for a time. I fell into a spirit of despair, anger,
resentment, confusion and depression. I began to do things that were clearly
hurtful to me physically and hurtful to my witness as a scripturally based
child of God.

I got out of God's will and tried to force growth and development in
relationships.

I allowed my heart to lead me astray.

I allowed the devil to clean my clock.

Then, when tragedy struck, I was not prepared. I was not armed for spiritual
warfare.

When I sustained losses, I could not cope in a God-centered, God-oriented
way. I responded in anger, in self righteous indignation.

In September of 2007 my father died unexpectedly. A couple of months after
that, I had to leave a church because of issues related to unresolved
offense.

Early in 2008 I became an Ecclesiastical Solomon. I indulged the flesh in
ways that were clearly sinful and hurtful to my "temple."

In September of 2008 I lost a dear friend and a potential mate because I was
too self-centered to recognize her hurts and her needs. In April of this
year, I lost my mother to colon cancer. Then, in less than a month, I lost a
dear friend and mentor when I became hostile  to biblically based correction
and guidance.

Just two months later, I lost yet another friend because of anger problems
and a spirit of hostility. However, I believe that God is working to bring
reconciliation to this particular relationship.

I seemed to be alienating myself from all my friends, colleagues and
contacts. I knew I was messing up but I just couldn't seem to get a grip.

Late in July, Victory <http://www.dsheriff.org/>  Life church in Durant,
Oklahoma held their annual Jubilee celebration. My best friend took me and a
friend over to the church on the last night of the celebration.

As I sat and listened to the word of God, I noticed that I was smiling. I
hadn't smiled in months but sitting there under the word, I had a broad
smile on my face.

I realized then that the only thing that would make me happy was to get back
into the word, stand up and walk like an overcomer and cast off the sins
that had consumed my existence for almost two years.

I began to listen to sermons. I began to read the Bible again.

I asked God to help me renew my prayer life and to give me peace in this
time of turmoil and great sadness.

God answered by reaching out to me and enveloping me in his embrace.

Soon, he started ministering to me about faith and thus, this study was
birthed.

I've been working on this since August 12.

The end result is this comprehensive review of faith which has spoken more
to me than any other study I've ever done.

It is my sincerest hope that my prefatory comments and this biblically based
examination of faith will be a blessing to you.

This is a powerful! Study. In the following pages, we will deal with some
deep and disturbing issues.

I encourage you to pass this on to other believers who may be struggling
with issues of faith.

Additionally, I invite you to visit my temporary website at
http://rexlesliehowardjr.christian.net
<http://rexlesliehowardjr.christian.net/>

It is somewhat in disrepair because I haven't had any time to maintain it.
The website contains links to hundreds of resources which are provided to
help the Christian scholar more easily study the word and related documents.
I have written quite a number of Bible studies which can be accessed at the
site.

I also run a telephone conference Bible Study at 8:00 PM CST on Tuesday
nights if you're interested in studying with us. The dial-in number is (712)
432-3100. The conference code is 449683.

Peace and blessings to you all

Rex Leslie Howard, Jr.

Table of Contents

Preface <>

Page 1.

Scriptural <>  Foundation

Page 5.

Introduction <>

Page 6.

Faith is <>  demonstrated when we exercise obedience and submission to God

Page 8.

Faith is <>  demonstrated when we believe that God can and will do the
impossible

Page 10.

Faith is <>  demonstrated in our suffering

Page 11.

Faith is <>  demonstrated by our works

Page 13.

The work of preaching the <>  gospel

Page 13.

The work of servanthood <>

Page 15.

Faith is <>  demonstrated when we build functional and long-lasting
relationships

Page 19.

Faith is <>  demonstrated when we wage effective spiritual warfare

Page 22.

Conclusion <>

Page 28.

Scriptural Foundation

Proverb 24:16a. Philippians 1:6. Hebrews 11:4-6. Hebrews 11:1-3.

Matthew 9:27-29. Matthew 8:5-10. Romans 5:3-5. Romans 10:17.

Jeremiah 17:7. Romans 15:4. Colossians 1:23. Psalm 119:74, 81, 147.

psalm 130:5. Romans 8:24-25. James 2:14, 17-18. Luke 10:2. Luke 9:1-7.

Matthew 28:19. mark 16:20. Luke 12:47-48. Matthew 5:35-40. john 13:1-18.

Luke 17:3-6. 2 Timothy 1:7. Matthew 11:12. Ephesians 6:10-18. James 4:7.

Job 42:10. Luke 23:34. Acts 7:60. Deuteronomy 20:1-4, 8. Exodus 15:1-3.
Revelations 21:4. Isaiah 58:8. Nehemiah 8:10. Numbers 6:24-26.

Introduction

Chapter 11 of the book of Hebrews is filled with descriptions of people who
demonstrated and exercised faith. I don't mean the kind of generic faith we
see in Christianity today, but genuine faith. The biblical characters (faith
heroes) described in chapter 11 actually believed in things that could never
happen outside the will of God.

So what is faith exactly?

As you read this study, contemplate on the following questions: What is the
difference between a child's belief in Santa Clause, The Tooth Fairy and
Easter Bunny and our belief in God?

Isn't it impossible for someone to put all the gifts for all the children
into a slay and deliver them all over the world in a single night? Isn't it
impossible for a rabbit to lay eggs? And, what does the Tooth Fairy do with
the teeth?

Aren't we demonstrating faith through our works when we believe that Santa
will bring us gifts if we're good all year?

Is it any more absurd to believe in Santa, The Tooth Fairy and the Easter
Bunny than it is to believe that a 90 year old woman gave birth to a baby
boy?

No.

So, faith must be more than a belief in the absurd. It must be more than a
belief that the impossible can happen if we ask for it in prayer. Faith must
be more than a childlike fascination with magic.

So what is the difference between faith in God and belief in Fairy Tales?

Before we can even hope to answer that question, we must look at faith in a
way that allows us to see what it is and what it is not.

There are six characteristics of faith. Six elements that prove the
existence of faith.

1.       Faith is demonstrated when we practice obedience and submission to
God.

2.       Faith is demonstrated when we believe that God can and will do the
impossible.

3.       Faith is demonstrated through our suffering.

4.       Faith is demonstrated by our works.

5.       We demonstrate faith when we build functional and long-lasting
relationships.

6.       Faith is demonstrated when we wage effective spiritual warfare.

Faith is demonstrated when we practice obedience and submission to God

Hebrews 11:4-6                       By faith Abel offered unto God a more
excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was
righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet
speaketh. By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and
was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he
had this testimony, that he pleased God. But without faith it is impossible
to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that
he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Able exercised faith and because of that faith, he testified against Cain
after his death. God's anger was kindled against Cain and he was marked for
all mankind to see.

Enoch exercised faith by his righteousness and through his desire to
constantly seek God. God rewarded his faith and Enoch never saw death.

Noah faced persecution and ridicule when he built an ark. He and his family
alone survived the flooding of the world. his faith was rewarded.

Abraham exercised faith by following God's instructions that he leave his
land and journey to another. He and Sarah demonstrated faith when they
believed in God's promise when he told them that they would conceive a child
at an age when it is impossible for a woman to conceive. Sarah and Abraham
both laughed at first but it wasn't a laugh of mockery or disbelief, they
laughed because the notion of conception was absurd.

Abraham demonstrated faith again when he offered up Isaac for a sacrifice.

First he believed the impossible would happen, then he, in absolute
obedience, submitted to an almost unimaginable demand from God to offer up
his son as a sacrifice.

Think about it. Abraham wanted a son and for years he did not get one.
Finally God promised him a son when Sarah was 90 years old. This was an
absurd promise but Abraham believed. The son was born, the son that Abraham
had prayed for all those years and then . . . God asked him to sacrifice
that son in a demonstration of obedience.

Do we have the kind of faith today that Abraham showed? Would we sacrifice a
child in obedience to God or would we turn away from him and believe that
only a monster would ask us to do such a heart-wrenching thing?

Hebrews 11 is filled with examples of individuals who exercised faith in the
most trying of circumstances.

Faith is demonstrated when we believe that God can and will do the
impossible

Hebrews 11:1-3                       Now faith is the substance of things
hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a
good report. Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the
word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do
appear.

Matthew 9:27-29                     And when Jesus departed thence, two
blind men followed him, crying, and saying, Thou Son of David, have mercy on
us. And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him: and
Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto
him, Yea, Lord. Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith
be it unto you.

Matthew 8:5-10                       And when Jesus was entered into
Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him, And saying,
Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented. And
Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him. The centurion answered and
said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but
speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed. For I am a man under
authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he
goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and
he doeth it. When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that
followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in
Israel.

The blind men exercised faith when they sought Jesus for healing. The
Centurion exercised faith when he sought Jesus for the healing of his
servant who wasn't even present. He exercised a kind of faith that I would
call intercessory faith.

Do we have that kind of faith today? Do we still believe in miracles? Do we
believe that God is still the God of impossibilities?

Faith is demonstrated through our suffering

Romans 5:3-5                And not only so, but we glory in tribulations
also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience;
and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God
is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

The New International Version tells us that suffering produces perseverance,
perseverance produces character and character produces hope.

There is one solid message that can be taken from this scripture passage.

We have previously noted that faith is the substance of things hoped for and
the evidence of things not seen.

In the immediate preceding scripture passage we see that hope comes by
tribulation. We see that hope increases as the quality of our character
improves.

The key word is hope.

What gives us hope?

Before we can answer that question, we should discover what hope really is
and where it comes from.

Before we can have real hope, we must understand what real hope is.

What is the foundation of hope?

Romans 10:17 tells us that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of
God. Therefore, if faith is the substance of things hoped for and faith
comes by the word of God, then hope must obviously come from the word of God
as well. For, before we can have faith, we must believe in the substance of
things hoped for.

What is the substance of hope?

Jeremiah 17:7                         Blessed is the man that trusteth in
the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.

Romans 15:4                           For whatsoever things were written
aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and
comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Colossians 1:23                       If ye continue in the faith grounded
and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye
have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven;
whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Psalm 119:74, 81, 147   They that fear thee will be glad when they see me;
because I have hoped in thy word. My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I
hope in thy word. I prevented the dawning of the morning, and cried: I hoped
in thy word.

Psalm 130:5                             I wait for the LORD, my soul doth
wait, and in his word do I hope.

Hope, then, is the comfort we obtain from the scriptures. It is the essence
of trust in the infallible word of God.

Romans 8:24-25                      For we are saved by hope: but hope that
is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if
we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

It is easy to hope for things when we have evidence to hope. We hope for a
job when we fill out an application at a business that has a "help wanted"
sign posted on the door. We have hope that an antibiotic shot will cure us
of the flu or other treatable ailment. We have hope for a raise when we are
promised one.

This type of hope is based on the evidence of things seen though. It is not
real hope. It is a hope based on positive circumstances.

The hope we're talking about here is based on our response to negative
circumstances. It is based on the belief that God will prevail no matter how
dark and bleak things seem.

It is the hope based on scriptural promises. It is a solid hope because we,
who have not seen, are blessed because we still believe even though there is
no physical evidence supporting our hope.

This hope is a clear demonstration of faith.

Faith is demonstrated by our works

James 2:14,17-18                    What doth it profit, my brethren, though
a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? Even so
faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou
hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I
will shew thee my faith by my works.

When we live in faith, our works demonstrate and prove that the fruits of
the spirit are working in us. When that happens, we are said to have "bible
faith."

Bible faith or faith in God has corresponding actions.

Faith is more than an ideology, more than a belief system, more than a
philosophy. Faith means that we align our hearts with the grace of God and
that we respond to God by faith.

When we respond by faith something is affected in our character that changes
how we live our lives.

Though works play no role in our salvation, they do demonstrate our faith
and they will determine our reward in heaven.

I believe there are two types of works.

(1)      The work of preaching the gospel.

(2)      The work of servanthood

The work of preaching

Luke 10:2                                          Therefore said he unto
them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye
therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into
his harvest.

Luke 9:1-7                                        Then he called his twelve
disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and
to cure diseases. And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal
the sick. And he said unto them, Take nothing for your journey, neither
staves, nor scrip, neither bread, neither money; neither have two coats
apiece. And whatsoever house ye enter into, there abide, and thence depart.
And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off
the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them. And they
departed, and went through the towns, preaching the gospel, and healing
every where.

Matthew 28:19                        Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy
Ghost:

Mark 16:20                                       And they went forth, and
preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word
with signs following. Amen.

First and most important is the work of preaching the gospel to the world
and leading people to a knowledge of Christ Jesus and what he did for us
even before we were born into the world as selfish and sinful beings.

We tell the story of God's great love through speaking and writing. We show
that love through our actions and by the life we live.

We are to lead by example and teach by example.

We are to teach the unlearned with patience, understanding and love. We are
to use all the tools and writings available to us. We are to exercise
long-suffering while endeavoring to teach and disciple.

Many preachers will receive the blame and be judged for the ignorance of the
flock. Those who are called to preach are given much, therefore, much is
expected of them. Luke 12:47-48.

Here is an excerpt from Martin Luther's Introduction to the Small Catechism.

Martin Luther to All Faithful and Godly Pastors and Preachers:

Grace, Mercy, and Peace in Jesus Christ, our Lord.

The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too,
was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism,
or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form. Mercy! Good God!
what manifold misery I beheld! The common people, especially in the
villages, have no knowledge whatever of Christian doctrine, and, alas! many
pastors are altogether incapable and incompetent to teach [so much so, that
one is ashamed to speak of it]. Nevertheless, all maintain that they are
Christians, have been baptized and receive the [common] holy Sacraments. Yet
they [do not understand and] cannot [even] recite either the Lord's Prayer,
or the Creed, or the Ten Commandments; they live like dumb brutes and
irrational hogs; and yet, now that the Gospel has come, they have nicely
learned to abuse all liberty like experts.

O ye bishops! [to whom this charge has been committed by God,] what will ye
ever answer to Christ for having so shamefully neglected the people and
never for a moment discharged your office? [You are the persons to whom
alone this ruin of the Christian religion is due. You have permitted men to
err so shamefully; yours is the guilt; for you have ever done anything
rather than what your office required you to do.] May all misfortune flee
you!

Although Jesus was exceedingly compassionate and kind to children and those
who, by unfortunate circumstance, were biblically illiterate, he was
extremely caustic, sharp and confrontational with the sect of priests and
supposed bible scholars of his time. He was clearly disappointed with the
religious groups who cleaned the outsides of their cups but left the insides
filthy.

Those who are illiterate - ignorant of God's word - are shown exceeding
kindness and undying patience in hope that they will come to the full
knowledge of the gospel of Christ Jesus. But, those who are biblically
literate and informed as to the will of God, are expected to demonstrate
that understanding by displaying the fruits of the Christian spirit: Love,
joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, meekness, temperance and
faith.

There is great blessing for those who rise to the calling and face
persecution and harassy. Those who stand will know the grace of God and will
be protected by God through the exercise of faith.

The work of servanthood

Matthew 25:35-40                   For I was an hungred, and ye gave me
meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me
in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in
prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying,
Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee
drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed
thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the
King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye
have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it
unto me.

John 13:1-18                           Now before the feast of the passover,
when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this
world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he
loved them unto the end. And supper being ended, the devil having now put
into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him; Jesus knowing
that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come
from God, and went to God; He riseth from supper, and laid aside his
garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water
into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with
the towel wherewith he was girded. Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter
saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet? Jesus answered and said unto
him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. Peter
saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash
thee not, thou hast no part with me. Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not
my feet only, but also my hands and my head. Jesus saith to him, He that is
washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye
are clean, but not all. For he knew who should betray him; therefore said
he, Ye are not all clean. So after he had washed their feet, and had taken
his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have
done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I
then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one
another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have
done to you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than
his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know
these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

Now what is going on here in these two stories?

First Jesus is telling the hearers that we must practice servanthood not
servitude.

What is the difference between servanthood and servitude?

Servitude is the practice of doing something for another with an expectation
of payment, reward or recognition.

Servanthood is the practice of doing good works with no expectation of
reward or return. It is a heart's desire to serve those less fortunate or a
desire to serve those in need.

I had a friend who was very troubled in his soul. He was an alcoholic, a
drug user, a spousal abuser and generally an angry young man.

He wanted to be a better person and was deeply troubled by his behavior. He
asked me how he might go about changing his outlook and his tendency to be
abusive and angry.

I told him that he should go out and do something good for someone without
any expectation of reward or recognition. I told him to do something good
for someone and not tell anyone about the deed.

I told him I would call every few days to ask him if he had done a good
work.

I told him that I didn't want to know the details of the deed, I just wanted
to know whether a good work was completed or not.

For several weeks I called him to ask if he had found occasion to do
something good for another. Each time he told me he had not found an
opportunity.

Finally I got angry with him and told him it wasn't hard to find an
opportunity to do a good deed.

He then told me he didn't know how to do something good for someone.

"Can't you find an elderly person who is coming out of the grocery store and
offer to help them with their bags?" I asked. "Can't you find a yard that
needs mowing? All you have to do is open your eyes and look. There's always
someone needing help and the opportunity for you to serve is there if you
just look for an occasion."

I don't know whether he ever made an effort to exercise servanthood.

Jesus exercised servanthood in an awesome way. He washed his disciples feet.

Now you have to understand what an act this was. Jesus was the guest of
honor and as such, he was seated. When the disciples came in to the room,
they must have passed the wash basin and wondered where the servant was who
would wash their feet. Jesus rose from his seat, removed his robe and put a
towel around his waist.

At this time Jesus was also aware that Judas would betray him and yet he
washed Judas' feet as well.

When he got to Peter, Peter let pride get in the way of his understanding.
He told Jesus that he wouldn't let him wash his feet and Jesus rebuked him
by saying that if Peter didn't allow him to wash his feet, he had no place
within the group. Peter then asked Jesus to wash his whole body. Jesus again
rebuked Peter. After washing the disciples feet, Jesus told them to use his
act of servanthood as an example and wash each other's feet.

Jesus was sent to Earth to redeem our sins. He is the King of Kings, the
Lord of Lords and yet, he exercised the ultimate act of servanthood.

I've been to churches where a "foot washing" ceremony was implemented. I
disagree with this practice because I believe it is ritualistic in nature
and nothing more.

In the days when Jesus walked among men, foot care was essential to good
health. We didn't have closed shoes and foot care products. Many people
traveled without any kind of foot protection. Others wore open towed
sandals. I'm sure that foot decay and diseases of the feet were prevalent in
those times. It was absolutely necessary for individuals to wash and clean
their feet to keep from getting infections and sores of the foot.

Today we don't have to worry about such things.

However, there are numerous occasions for real servanthood. I believe that
churches should adopt a "elderly care" day, a "special needs" program or a
"lawn mowing" day in which the healthier church members do jobs for those
who are unable to do them. Individuals could offer to drive the elderly or
handicapped to the grocery store or drug store. Younger and healthier
members could mow the lawns of the impaired or elderly. There are countless
opportunities for real, nonritualistic ceremonies to demonstrate
servanthood.

Churches could get involved in prison ministries, food bank ministries or
other types of ministry which bring the word of God into areas where access
and opportunity are limited.

Do we have the faith to step out as real servants? Do we have the faith to
become individuals of servanthood rather than seekers of recognition through
acts of servitude?

We demonstrate faith when we build functional and long-lasting relationships

Luke 17:3-6                   Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother
trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. And if he
trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn
again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him. And the apostles
said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. And the Lord said, If ye had faith
as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou
plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey
you.

Why does it seem that the church is full of people who are victims of broken
relationships, broken marriages and destroyed friendships?

Why do we, as Christians, seem to have such long histories of turmoil and
conflict among believers?

Jesus spoke about this in Luke 17.

It seems really funny to me that Jesus told his disciples to go out and
raise the dead, heal the sick and preach the word. The disciples gladly and
obediently agreed and went out to minister. Yet, when Jesus told them to
forgive those who had wronged them, they asked for Jesus to increase their
faith.

Is it harder to believe for healing of physical ailments than to believe in
reconciliation of broken relationships and friendships?

Unfortunately, I guess the answer is yes.

We seem to have abundant faith when praying for the cure of ailments or
remission of a sickness and yet, we have nothing but doubt when it comes to
praying for a resolution of problems between friends, spouses or family
members.

Why is this?

Sadly, the Christian community at large practices antifaith.

What is antifaith? It is the complete opposite of faith.

the opposite of faith must be doubt and unbelief. What would cause us to
rebel against a belief in the impossible and improbable?

Fear.

Let's review fear and faith from a biblical perspective.

What do these terms mean for kingdom citizens?

2 Timothy 1:7                           For God hath not given us the spirit
of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Fear is not of God.

Fear of the unknown has plagued our society from the beginning of
civilization.

We have been brainwashed into a spirit of fear when we are faced with things
we don't understand. We live in a world where superstition is accepted and
even encouraged because we are ignorant in our knowledge of space and time
events.

We're reluctant to meet and greet strangers because we worry about what they
might think of us. We refuse to build new friendships because we've been
hurt before and we are too self-centered to open ourselves to the
possibility of hurt, even though we know hurt is only temporary. We've let
fear make us forget that real, genuine, loving relationships will weather
the storms of life and give us great happiness and peace.

Although faith and fear have two totally and separate meanings, they do have
two things in common.

Faith and fear are contagious and infectious. The one we exercise will be
the one that effects our immediate environment. Those around us will find
themselves adopting our attitudes. If we're negative, always running people
down, always pessimistic, always hard-hearted and unwilling to believe that
there is good in everyone, we'll project that personality on to those around
us.

If we're positive, believing in the impossible and improbable, we'll
encourage those around us to be more positive, less pessimistic and more
willing to step out and exercise genuine faith.

Fear is a negative reaction to the lies of the devil and is usually based on
what we see.

Faith is a positive response to the promise of God in our lives and is based
on what we can't see but what we know to be true.

Fear will cause us to shy away from fighting for our beliefs. Fear will
cause us to hide from the minority morale, (the spectrum of biblical
instruction and God-centered attitudes and conduct). In other words, fear
will cause us to deny the work of Christ in us and turn away from God's
instruction in order to "fit in."

Fear will cause us to go along with the crowd just to avoid conflict or
confrontation.

Faith, however, will allow us to step out in confidence and address those
issues that have been so misunderstood for so many years.

Fear is the manifestations of a cowardly spirit.

Faith is the fruit of a bold spirit.

Faith is demonstrated when we wage effective spiritual warfare

God is a God of love and great patience. He is slow to anger and not quick
to judge but he is always ready to equip the saints for battle against the
powers and principalities that rule this world and test his people. Even
Heaven suffers violence but the violent take it by force. Matthew 11:12.

Faith believes that God is here to help us fight our battles. When we
exercise faith in the face of trying circumstances or disappointment, we
allow God to arm us so that we can effectively wage a victorious attack on
Satan and the principalities.

Ephesians 6:10-18         Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and
in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be
able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against
flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the
rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high
places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able
to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand
therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the
breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the
gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall
be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of
salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying
always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching
thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

We've just been given instructions in how to wage spiritual warfare but
these words make no sense to the secular world. Unfortunately, they make
little sense to most Christians.

When we think of waging war, we think of using tangible or physical things.
Tools we can hold or operate. Society has taught us to fight with fists,
knives, guns and weapons of mass destruction.

So, when we look at a scripture passage like the one just given, we, if
we're carnal in our minds or we are milk drinking Christians, ask ourselves
what is this nonsense. A breastplate of righteousness? A sword made of
paper? A belt of truth? Shoes made of this thing called the gospel of peace?
A helmet of salvation? A shield of faith? We're told to use prayer as
protection against spiritual wickedness in high places?

We want instant gratification or resolution. To get it, we shove God out of
the way and attempt to deal with the problem ourselves without seeking
guidance from the maker of Heaven and Earth.

We don't want to wait for God to act because it might not happen as quickly
as we'd like.

We tell ourselves that we'll be able to fight more effectively if we rant
and rave, curse and degrade, abuse and belittle. We believe that feeding the
desires of our flesh will hurt those who've hurt us. We think that if we're
cruel enough, mean enough and hurtful enough, we'll really win wars.

What we manage to do is alienate ourselves from our opponents until
communication ceases and then who's hurt?

We wanted our way. We wanted to have the last word. We wanted to hurt
someone and make another feel so bad that they'll come crawling back,
defeated, dejected and willing to submit to us.

But how often does that really happen? How often is conflict resolved by
adding more conflict?

Countries war with one another for years because there is no real
resolution. People get killed, money gets wasted, property gets destroyed
and yet the positions and philosophies of the warring countries do not
change.

There is potential for peaceful resolution only when there is compromise and
a genuine desire on the part of warring factions to bring an end to
hostilities. This can only be done when we accept differences and embrace
commonality.

England and the United States are not at war because there is genuine
acceptance from both countries. We don't always agree with the way the other
government does business. We don't always agree on the moral position of the
people, but, we do understand that we are better allies than enemies.

But what happens when we're attacked by another country?

Do we resist or do we attack?

When someone is mean to us, abusive to us or hostile to us, is it better to
have a bitter confrontation or is it better to resist by showing love,
patience, tolerance and understanding?

Remember that we are told in James 4:7 to "resist the devil and he shall
flee?"

Well, think about that. If we resist Satan, he doesn't just stop bothering
us, he races away from us. He "flees!"

Why?

Because when we suffer through Satan's tormenting attacks on us, we give
glory to God, which in turn administers a vicious blow to the devil.

Each time we glorify God in our suffering, we hurt the beast.

Each time we choose to represent truth, we expose the father of lies and
bring his evil deeds in to the light of day. When we glorify God, we win
another battle against the prince of darkness.

So, do we fight or resist? And, what is really meant by the command to
resist?

Resist does not mean to ignore. We Christians take things to extremes. We've
read scripture about the tongue and how it stirs up strife and kindles
fires. So, when we get upset at a fellow believer, a spouse or potential
mate, we cut off communication. We give the silent treatment, thinking that
we're doing what the scriptures command. But, we're not doing that at all.
We're being incredibly hurtful. We're not resisting anything. We're
submitting to a fleshly desire to be cruel in our actions.

There is a poem written by Phyllis McKinley called "A Choice of Weapons." It
goes like this:

Sticks and stones Are hard on bones,

Aimed with angry art.

Words can sting like anything,

But silence breaks the heart.

This poem tells us that physical attacks may harm us by bruising or breaking
bones. Stinging words spoken to us out of anger hurt very much. But, the
most hurtful of all behavior is the act of silence.

Since actions speak louder than words, the act of silence is louder than any
act of degradation.

You may ask why I believe this. Well, I believe this to be true because sins
of the hidden heart are demonstrative of a very severe spiritual sickness.
We can always deny that we had any feelings of anger when we're confronted
but we know this is a lie. We think we're secure in the knowledge that if we
don't say what we feel, no one will know how angry we've been or how mean
and evil our thoughts have been. This makes us a hypocrite. A hypocrite
because we know that God is aware of our true feelings and yet we've put on
fake smiles and pretended we had Christian love in our hearts when, in fact,
we had nothing but evil and hostile thoughts and desires burning in our
breasts.

Our cups are clean on the outside and pitifully filthy on the insides.

We've not resisted Satan at all. In fact, we've played right into his hands.

We've become coworkers with the father of lies. The ultimate lie is the one
that is hidden in our hearts. The ultimate lie occurs when we pretend to be
loving and forgiving when we are really resentful and unforgiving.

We cannot enjoy effective spiritual growth until we admit to these feelings
and make an effort to cast out the anger, hatred and hostility that is
spiritually killing us.

Notice what happened to Job when he forgave his friends.

Job 42:10                                           And the LORD turned the
captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job
twice as much as he had before.

Before Jesus could die, he had to ask forgiveness for those who crucified
him.

Luke 23:34                                        Then said Jesus, Father,
forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment,
and cast lots.

Stephen, while being stoned and bitten by an angry mass, asked God not to
hold the crowd accountable for their actions. He, essentially, asked
forgiveness for his enemies and killers.

Acts 7:60                                            And he kneeled down,
and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And
when he had said this, he fell asleep.

We cannot be spiritually well until we deny self. Some people say we must
die to self. I won't take issue with the difference in wording at this time.
Basically, we have to let go of resentments, anger and fears caused by a
history of past events and broken relationships. We can justify our anger,
our disappointments, our negative, pessimistic attitudes, our cynical
personalities and debilitating fears all day long but the justification
doesn't make us right.

Consider this illustration.

If you kick a corpse, it won't respond. If you spit on a corpse, it won't
respond. If you curse a corpse, it won't respond. If you hit a corpse, it
won't respond. It won't respond because it is physically and emotionally
dead. There is nothing to drive the need to gratify self. Now, I'm not
saying we should allow someone to kick us, spit on us, curse us or hit us,
but I am saying that when we get angry over the way someone has treated us
and if we respond hostilely on the basis of that anger, if we "spray"
instead of "pray" then we have attempted to take the matter out of God's
hands and we have given the devil permission to stir up strife, division and
dissention.

By responding in the flesh, we are basically saying we have no faith. We are
saying that we don't believe that God can touch hearts and bring
reconciliation to situations that would otherwise be hopeless.

We are essentially saying that we don't believe God when he says that he has
nothing but good thoughts about us, that he wants to answer our prayers and
give us hope and a future. We're letting pride and inequity separate us from
his will for us. We're demonstrating fear instead of faith.

And we're losing battles that God wants us to win.

A victory for us is a victory for God.

God does not fight the devil directly. God fights the devil by helping us
fight our battles.

Our next scripture passage shows us that God will fight with us so that we
are victorious in battle.

Deuteronomy 20:1-4,8   When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies,
and seest horses, and chariots, and a people more than thou, be not afraid
of them: for the LORD thy God is with thee, which brought thee up out of the
land of Egypt. And it shall be, when ye are come nigh unto the battle, that
the priest shall approach and speak unto the people, And shall say unto
them, Hear, O Israel, ye approach this day unto battle against your enemies:
let not your hearts faint, fear not, and do not tremble, neither be ye
terrified because of them; For the LORD your God is he that goeth with you,
to fight for you against your enemies, to save you. And the officers shall
speak further unto the people, and they shall say, What man is there that is
fearful and fainthearted? let him go and return unto his house, lest his
brethren's heart faint as well as his heart.

note how fear is contagious. So much so that the priests were commanded to
tell the weak of heart soldiers to go home lest others be troubled by the
faint-hearted and lose confidence.

Exodus 15:1-3                         Then sang Moses and the children of
Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the
LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he
thrown into the sea. The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my
salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's
God, and I will exalt him. The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

Did you see that the scripture passage refers to God as a "man of war?"

Do we have the faith to step out as men and women of war? Do we have the
faith to wage effective and decisive spiritual warfare?

Conclusion

As we have seen in this study, faith is a belief in things we can't see,
feel, sense, taste, smell or recognize. The root of faith is hope. The root
of hope is the gospel of Christ Jesus and the word of God.

The more we get into the word, the greater our hope, the greater our hope,
the greater our faith. The greater our faith, the more effective we will be
as Kingdom Citizens.

Now, I asked at the beginning of this study what the difference is between a
child's belief in Santa Clause, The Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy and our
belief in a God that we cannot see physically.

What separates faith from a childlike belief in fairy tales?

Well, first, the belief in Santa, Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy wanes as we
grow out of childhood. Faith in God usually grows as we enter into
adulthood. In other words, we don't truly believe in God until we mature as
adults. We don't truly disbelieve in Fairy Tale heroes until we reach the
late years of childhood or early years of adolescence.

The difference is this: our belief, as children, in Santa, Easter Bunny and
Tooth Fairy is based on lies that our parents or guardians tell us. We have
only the words of our elders to give us hope in these childhood fairy tales.
As we mature, we learn that our elders lied to us, not out of meanness or
spite, but because they love us and don't want us to think that they bought
all the toys, hid all the eggs and paid money for a worthless tooth.

When we learn the truth we usually gain more love, appreciation and respect
for the amount of unconditional love shown to us by our parents or
guardians.

When we grow as Christians, we learn that God has never lied to us and will
never lie to us and yet his love is absolutely and totally unconditional. He
promises us nothing in this world but does promise believers eternal life
and peace in the life to come. God does not promise us healing in this life
but he does promise believers perfect bodies in the life to come. God warns
us that we Christians will be persecuted in this life but, in the next life,
every sorrow will be done away with and ever tear dried.

Revelations 21:4                      And God shall wipe away all tears from
their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying,
neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

God instructs us to seek maturity in this life in order that we be prepared
to enter into his kingdom at the appointed time. He offers us, in this life,
wholeness over healing.

And he offers us more, if we work to build faith.

I think we could have absolute faith if we would believe in the truth as
much as children believe in a lie.

As children we believe, wholeheartedly in Santa Clause, Easter Bunny and
Tooth Fairy. What if we, as Christians, believed in the existence and
supremecy of God with the same childlike zeal that we, as children,
exercised on Christmas morning?

Jesus is checking his list and checking it twice, not to discover who's
naughty or nice but to discover who truly believes in Him.

Do we believe, truly believe?

If so, then we'll receive the ultimate reward when our bridegroom comes.

Do we believe in salvation in the same way that we believe that our
belongings (property, appliances, vehicles) will be repossessed if we don't
make the payment?

We understand repossession, foreclosure and wage garnishment. Do we
understand the principle of rejection on judgment day?

Now, I'm not saying that we'll be rejected if we stumble as Christians. I'm
not saying that a lack of absolute faith will sentence us to eternal
damnation but I am saying that unbelief in the sacrificial Lamb known as
Jesus Christ will condemn us to hell.

We must believe that Jesus came to Earth, died on the cross, was buried,
descended into the lower parts of the Earth to take captivity captive, was
resurrected on the third day, ministered to his disciples for forty days and
then ascended into Heaven so that our sins would be forgiven, so that we
would have a chance for eternal life.

That kind of belief requires less than a grain of mustard seed.

Let's start there.

Let us pray for the desire to study the word in the face of suffering. As a
result of our efforts to learn about God through his word, our suffering
will become perseverance, perseverance will become character and our
character will produce hope. Hope will become faith and faith will cause us
to produce works which will demonstrate evidence of the fruit of the
Christian spirit.

It all starts when we open the Holy Bible and really stir up an interest to
read the most ultimate of love letters. The one God wrote for us so many
years ago.

As we learn of his great love for us, our love for him will increase in
magnitude.

As our love increases, our willingness to go to him in prayer will increase.
And, as our conversations with God increase infrequency, we will see his
works increase in us exponentially.

The glory of the Lord is our rereward. Isaiah 58:8.

May the joy of the Lord be our strength!! Nehemiah 8:10.

I want to end with an excerpt from an article written by Brian Zahnd. The
article is entitled "Letter to An Atheist."

Still I would like to talk to you for a moment about God. Not
condescendingly, you deserve better than that, but from my heart. Please
allow me to have my say.

Is there a God?

Yes and no.

"There" (the adverb denoting place and location) is no God. For God to be
God, in the sense of an eternal, self-existent being responsible for all
that we call existence, the one thing he cannot be is "there." God is of
necessity invisible. There is a place called Timbuktu, there is planet
called Neptune, there is a cup of coffee sitting next to me, but in that
sense, there is no God. That would be to place God within the universe as
another object. That is what he cannot be. Unless he were to choose to in
someone way join creation. (This is what Christians believe concerning the
Incarnation of Christ, but that is beyond this discussion).

Can I prove that God exists? I don't think so; at least not in the way I
might prove that I have three cats living in my house. I'm confident that
God can prove his own existence, but he doesn't seem to be inclined to do
so. At least not at the present moment. Though, without trying to persuade
you to believe me, I do believe that God will, in his own time, erase all
doubt of his reality from the mind of every intelligent being. But, as C.S.
Lewis said, "When the author walks onto the stage, the play is over."

So "there" is no God.

But I believe God is.

Why?

Certainly not because I can necessarily make an ironclad argument for his
existence, but because I know that when I try my best to not believe in God,
I know I am lying to myself.

Do I want there to be a God? Perhaps. But I can tell you what I want even
more than the existence of God, and that is this: the Truth. And when I have
experimented with thinking God out of existence, I know I have lied to
myself. Is this a persuasive argument? Probably not for you. But it is for
me. Perhaps the most persuasive. I know there is a God because I know there
is a God. Circular? Yes. But I can't break out of the circle and remain true
to myself. I can't unknow what I know and be true to myself.

That's not much of argument for believing in God, but I wanted to say it
anyway. (Remember, I'm speaking from my heart .)

On to other things.

An atheist doesn't believe in God. What doesn't an atheist believe in? God.
Let us be absolutely clear on this point. What is it that an atheist is
convinced doesn't exist? GOD. Hmm? Most atheists I have had conversations
with seem to think about God nearly as much as I do. Most people don't
believe in lots of things: Unicorns, Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster among
them. But they don't bother to identify themselves as a-bigfootists, etc.
God is because God is. Even atheists know what God is. God is utterly
unique. A class unto himself. This is the one thing God must be...or we
wouldn't even have a word for it. Unicorns may be a fable, but there are
horses and animals with horns. Bigfoot may not be in the woods, but there
are large mammals in the woods. Nessie may not be in the loch, but there are
strange creatures in the sea. But God is utterly unique -- not a variation
on a theme. To insist that one does not believe in God is an absurdity.
(Strong words, but yes, I believe that.) By the very use of the word you
have acknowledged the reality of this utterly unique being. And so, as G.K
Chesterton quipped, "Without God there would be no atheists." I'm reminded
of the recent debate at Oxford between Richard Dawkins and Alister McGrath
and how Dawkins exclaimed during the debate, "My God!" Yes, the crowd
laughed.

Here is a question. And, really, a serious one. Why is there something
instead of nothing? We are here after all. Why? For a long time the standard
atheistic reply was something like, "Well, why not? That's just the way it
is." In itself that seems pretty weak, but then something happened that made
that argument no longer tenable. The discovery of the Big Bang. We now know
that 13.7 billion years ago something happened that began time, space and
matter. Before that there was...well, nothing; nothing in the most literal
sense of the word. There was not even a "before" there was just n o t h I n
g. And out of nothing...bang...the beginning of time, space, matter. Why?

End of study

Note from Rex: If you enjoyed this study and would like to make a comment or
ask a question, please click here
<mailto:rex.howard at gmail.com?subject=BibleStudy17-WhatIsFaith?>  to send me
an e-mail.

Numbers 6:24-26                     The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The
LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift
up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.