[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Pastor Cecil Thompson - "BRUISED PRIDE!" 6/7/11 Tuesday's E-Votional

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:49:58 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "TONY - Family of Faith" <familyoffaith at tampabay.rr.com>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Pastor Cecil Thompson -  "BRUISED PRIDE!"
6/7/11 Tuesday's E-Votional
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2011 06:30:22 -0400

DAILY-E-VOTIONAL

BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART

Pastor Cecil A. Thompson

June 7, 2011

"BRUISED PRIDE!"

Proverbs 16:18-19

"Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. Better
to be of a humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the
proud."

I have never seen a more vivid example of bruised pride than at a wedding
ceremony I performed several years ago. It was an outdoor wedding located
on a small farm with livestock almost outnumbering the invited guests.

Folding chairs had been lined up and the wedding party was all in place
except the groom. He had planned to gallop his horse around the house and
pull to a stop near his awaiting fiancé and the wedding party.

At the appropriate time he rounded the house like some wild west cowboy,
complete with dressy western outfit and Stetson hat. About twenty feet from
his intended stop, his horse suddenly screeched to a stop, but he didn't.
He landed in a heap. Evidently a fence had been removed, but the horse was
still used to it being there. The visitors enjoyed his fall far more than
he did. It was hard for me to officiate with the straight face, but I did.

Pride is a terrible thing to allow in our life. It causes us to separate
ourselves from those around us as well from the Lord. Rather than humbly
bowing before the Lord to ask Him for strength and guidance, the proud
person tried to do it in his own power and like my cowboy groom, a fall is
inevitable.

Proverbs 3:5-7 is a passage that gives us direction to overcome pride of
life: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own
understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your
paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and depart from
evil."

Blessings dear hearts. Draw near to God today, trust Him completely and
be a blessing!

Pastor Cecil (360) 570-0074

P.S. - You can help! Please consider trying to get one other person to
subscribe to the Daily-E-Votional. This worldwide ministry asks for no
funds and is sent to glorify our precious Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You may SUBSCRIBE by visiting:
https://listserv.reachone.com/e-cast/mail.cgi/list/cecil If you are
subscribing, a confirmation E-Mail will automatically be sent to you before
you are added to ensure your privacy.

If you have trouble subscribing, please contact Pastor Cecil at:
PastorCecil at Daily-E-Votional.com

You may also reach Pastor Cecil via postal mail, please contact us at:

Pastor Cecil Thompson
5116 Bald Eagle Lane SW
Tumwater, WA 98512
PastorCecil at Daily-E-Votional.com