[Faith-talk] Farewell.

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Tue Jun 14 20:15:03 UTC 2011

Joshua:

I will say a few things here, to you and others -- although I
probably shouldn't.  I am not the moderator, but I am the list owner,
and ultimately responsible for everything that happens here.

I will say that the majority of the list traffic is not what was
intended by the founders of the list.  They intended this list to be
a place where blind people could discuss their blindness and how it
impacted on their religious observances.  Specifically, people were
finding that people in their churches were not treating them as
equals, because of their blindness.

For some time the list seems to primarily be a religious debating
society.  While I am not in favor of this -- I have nearly 200 lists
to run and watch, the division is not mine, and it can run its list
as it sees fit, as long as basic rules aren't violated.  The list
description is pretty general, and the current list use is
permissible under it, as far as I can see.

You don't want to hear it, probably, but it is not your beliefs that
were objected too, but how you pushed them on people.

Now, here is my honest opinion -- that some people won't like, and I
reiterate that is just my opinion.  It seems to me that some
religious people know that they have the answer.  Either it is from
faith, or God or whoever has spoken to them, but they feel they have
the answer for everyone.  Either they feel compelled to tell people,
convert them etc., or feel the Bible instructs them to do so, so they go forth.

And ... this of course rubs some people the other way, and others
have slightly different beliefs.

I have to say that I don't always find Christians to be very tolerant
of others and their beliefs, and I would urge you to remember that
everybody doesn't believe as you do, and they aren't necessarily wrong.

I will probably burn in hell -- so be it.  Whatever our beliefs, or
lack thereof, we still share much more than is different between
us.  Especially because we are blind, and many of us belong to the NFB.

David Andrews, List Owner