[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] The 'Shall Not's' of John's Gospel

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Wed May 4 18:38:56 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "Joe Diaz" <revjoe2701 at comcast.net>
To: "??  -  Rev. Joe Diaz  :) [His Love Extended Ministries
International]  ??" <revjoe2701 at comcast.net>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] The 'Shall Not's' of John's Gospel
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2011 11:19:06 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

The 'Shall Not's' of John's Gospel

By John D. Morris, Ph.D. | May. 4, 2011

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that
whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
(John 3:16)

There are many wonderful promises to the believer listed in the Gospel of
John. Many of these promises are things which "shall" happen, but let us
consider seven of these which teach of things which "shall not" happen to
the believer whose trust is in Christ.

Teaching of the indwelling Holy Spirit, Christ said, "Whosoever drinketh
of
the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I
shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into
everlasting
life" (4:14).

Similarly, "Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh
Me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on Me shall never thirst"
(6:35).

Furthermore, He taught: "I am the light of the world: he that followeth
Me
shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (8:12). Our
deepest needs are met in Him.

Having once believed, we are placed into His family and He promises, "I
give
unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any
man
pluck them out of My hand" (10:28).

In Him, we are utterly secure. Why? "He that heareth My Word, and
believeth
on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into
condemnation; but is passed from death unto life" (5:24).

Consequently, we have no fear of death. "I am the resurrection, and the
life: he that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And
whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die. Believest thou
this?"
(11:25-26).

As the familiar verse in our text tells us, if we only believe "that He
gave
His only begotten Son," we shall "not perish, but have everlasting life."
JDM